Chapter 5

“Good morning.”

A voice stirred Kate from her sleep. She felt the now familiar effects of being drugged and wondered if she’d ever sleep normally again. Opening her eyes, she was surprised when she saw a woman standing in front of her.

The stranger was tall and quite striking, even though she was older. Wrinkles surrounded her green eyes, and grey hairs peeked up through her vibrant auburn hair. She was holding a neatly folded pile of clothes.

Kate saw another woman standing behind her. This one was in a white coat, and was much plainer and shorter. Kate immediately tensed up.

“Kate,” the older woman said. “Behind me is Doctor Beta, she will be looking after you from now on.” The woman had a strange voice. She sounded polite, but there was a hard, condescending edge to it.

“That was a terrible escape you tried to make. I lost a valuable member of my team. Doctor Theta will missed.”

“So he is dead?” Asked Kate, wondering if she should feel bad, but found it hard. “He was electrocuting me, or something. It hurt so bad. I couldn’t control it. I just...”

“Yes, it’s all very interesting.”                                                

"Please, I want to go home."

"You will. Kate, you're special. Don't you want to find out just how special?"

“What’s your name? Who are you?”

Kate didn't know why, but she was starting to like the older lady. The feeling disturbed her. This woman was her captor. 

“Oh, you can call me whatever you like. I don't really like names. Do you mind if I sit down next to you? I brought you some clothes.” Kate shuffled up on the bed to make room. She’d never met anyone who’d not cared about their own name. She wanted very much to be near this strange woman as if, somehow, she could make everything alright. The woman sat down and looked straight into Kate’s eyes.

Kate was smiling, she just couldn’t help it. She felt happy for the first time in a long time. But this thought confused her. Her smile faltered. Then she felt it. It was the same sort of tendrils that the boy had used to lock her into place. Not entirely the same, but distinct. They were coming from the woman.

It felt like a worm, pressing against her forehead, trying to find a way in.

“Stop it,” said Kate, but the woman kept on smiling.

“Stop what?” She took Kate’s hand and held it tenderly. “Kate we’re just trying to find out who you are. You want that, don’t you?”

Kate nodded before she could stop herself. The worm was pressing harder and harder, trying desperately to force its way into her skull. But Kate wasn’t going to let it.

“Stop it!” she said, louder this time. The woman’s eyes got smaller, her face started to look dangerous and beautiful at the same time. The invisible force was pounding now, like a sledgehammer. Kate shut her eyes, concentrating, trying to keep it out with all her will.

“I said STOP!” It shattered. The strange, pressing connection felt like it broke into pieces. The woman cringed and put her hand to her head, as if she was in pain.

“How did you do that?” the woman asked. Her voice was cold and cruel, her whole demeanour changed. She sprung off the bed, eyes narrowing. “Doesn't matter. We will break you. I know that because we break everyone. Doctor, please ensure our guest is comfortable, by any means necessary.”