Chapter 16

Half an hour later, they were in the training room downstairs. Annie was sitting in the corner watching, which Kate didn’t like. But, as it turns out, Kate didn’t have much of a choice.

“Just try to focus all your energy into your hand, just your hand. Practise the breathing I showed you.”

She had almost brought the house crashing down, twice. But still she was having trouble. It was either too much or too little.

“Just relax.”

“If you say that again, I’m going to break your face.”

Mason chuckled. “If you relaxed, I wouldn’t have to keep saying it.”

“I am relaxed.”

“Your threats tell me otherwise. Here, try this. Sit on the floor.”

He sat down, obliging her to do the same. “Now, close your eyes.” She raised an eyebrow at this, but did as he said. “Now breathe in, slowly. Good. Imagine your hand. Picture it in your mind. You can feel it. Lift it up. Move your fingers.” Kate felt stupid but did it anyway.

“Your hand is a conductor. Energy flows within in. Do you feel it?” Kate could feel it. She nodded so.

“As you picture it in your mind, channel your power there. Imagine it lighting up, whiteness streaming through the skin, but just a little.”

Kate heard a gasp behind her, but she was focusing on her hand. She could feel the crackling power there.

“Good job. Now open your eyes.”

She slowly opened them. It was amazing; her hand was glowing and arching with energy

“You did it.” Mason said, but as he did the power fizzled out. Kate was disappointed. “Don’t feel bad. You did great. You just have to practice.”

So she did. By that afternoon she was exhausted, but could summon the power to her hand a lot quicker, and could hold it there for almost a minute. It wasn’t hot or anything, mostly just light. But it was definitely a step up for her.

“I’m going up for dinner,” said Mason. “You coming?”

“No, I think I was to practice a little bit more.”

Mason nodded and turned to leave.

“Thank you for, well, for everything,” Kate said to his back. When he turned around he was beaming. “How did you get so good at all this stuff?” 

“I had a really good teacher.” And with that he was up the stairs. Kate watched him go.

Annie had stayed quite the whole afternoon, and as soon as Mason left, she darted towards her.

“That was amazing Kate,” said Annie.

“Thanks.”

“Do you think you could teach me? Like Mason taught you? No lightning hands, obviously but how to block people out.”

“Lightning hands?”

“Yup, it was kinda what it looked like.”

“I can try, but it’s not like I really know how it works. Why doesn’t Mason teach you?”

“He tried, but it never worked. But we can try too.” Annie looked so excited that she might burst out of her skin.

“Not tonight, though, I’m wreaked.”

“Tomorrow?” Kate didn’t have the heart to say no.

“Ok, tomorrow.”

*