Chapter 6

While sitting in her cell, recovering from a particularly nasty session with Doctor Beta, her door opened. In strode the red headed lady, a smile on her lips and malice in her eyes.

“Hello Kate.”

Kate didn’t bother to reply, she just sat there, staring at the bandages on her wrists. They were a little too tight, she could see the tips of her fingers changing colour.

“I have some good news for you.” Looking up, Kate wasn’t sure if the woman’s enthusiasm was real.

“You have finished your testing. Doctor Beta assures me that you handled yourself wonderfully. Although I’m sorry about your ability, I would kill Doctor Theta if he wasn’t already dead.” She said it so casually, only her eyes portrayed the violence of her words.

The Red Lady turned around and gestured to the door. A girl walked into the room. It took a few moments for Kate to click. This was the girl from the van. This was the girl with the needle. She looked the same as she did in the van, just fitted out in her dark grey uniform. She had a sweetheart face, but her eyes were laced with a cruel stare.

“This is Megan. She will be taking you under her wing, so to speak.”

Megan smiled smugly. It made Kate feel sick.

“Hello Kate,” she said. “It’s nice to see you again.”

Kate felt the tendrils of power coming from the girl. They pressed against her head like the woman’s, but they were a poor, clumsy imitation. Kate knew she could break it, hurt the girl, but she resisted. Instead she let the girl hit the barrier she had built in her mind her long ago.

“Kate, would you please follow Megan, she will take you to your new quarters.”

Silently Kate stood. She knew there was no point in fighting back. She didn’t grab her things, because there was nothing to grab. She was just glad she was already wearing her shoes. Following Megan out of the room, she didn’t turn back.

The hallways were empty, like they always were now. Except that Megan didn’t take her to the testing room, or anywhere near the wall with the windows. It seemed like they were walking further from it.

“I heard you exploded, killed Doctor Theta?” It wasn’t a question, though she asked it like one. “I also heard that you used up whatever you had, and now you’re nothing but a Wall.”

Kate still said nothing. This seemed to irritate the girl.

“Shame. The boss doesn’t have time for Walls. Pretty useless. Can’t even control them like most of the simpletons around here. But an explosion? Haven’t seen that before.” The girl looked at her again, squinting her cold eyes. She would have been pretty if it weren’t for the ugly expression on her face. “What, mute as well as useless?”

Megan shook her head in frustration. “Whatever”. The rest of the way they passed in silence. Megan took Kate down some stairs, but different ones. These were dingy, like some back entrance most people forgot about, then finally outside. The sun felt nice, even if it was fading. Orange and pink rays filled the sky. There was darkness in the surrounding woods. Kate couldn’t have been happier. This was perfect for an escape, but she couldn’t help feeling apprehensive at being outside. She wasn’t being lead to her new quarters.

The two rounded the corner of the building and came across a very particular sight. It was the boy from before, the one that froze her. He was sweaty, with a dirt smear on one side of his face. He was leaning on a shovel. Kate was confused and on the verge of asking before she saw it. A deep hole dug into the earth beside the building.

 It was a grave. Her grave.

“Good job, Toby. The Boss greatly appreciates all that you’ve done.”

“I don’t really feel comfortable-

“That is all, you can go back to your room now.” Kate saw him hesitate, but there was something more. It was like Megan was controlling him, making him leave. Kate could almost feel her do it. Toby’s face went slack and he turned. His retreating back was like a wakeup call. Kate had to go, and she had to go now. The girl turned to face her.

“Such a shame. Better luck next life.”

And that was it. Kate exploded. For the first time ever, it was on purpose.

She felt the white heat building, fast as lightning. It rushed through her body. But it was different this time, she held back a little, fighting to stay in control.

Kate saw the light beam through her skin, brighter and brighter, till it was all she could see. Her ears reverberated, wind seared passed her. And then it stopped, just as fast as it came. Blinking, Kate fought for her vision. She didn’t have much time. Rubbing her eyes, she began to see outlines and shapes. First the body on the ground, then the fence, the bush, then her freedom.

Kate ran.