Chapter Two: Silver Eyes [Edited Version of Ch. 2]

Chapter 2: Silver Eyes:

  Just as the blanket had been folded up, I got that itching sensation in the back of mind. The kind that made sure you know knew you were forgetting something, something important. The grass continued to tickle my legs, and I pulled them up to my chest quickly so I could not have all my nerves on end while I tried to think through my subconscious. I ran through today’s events, my good memory choosing selectively to turn on at points, but today came in pretty clear.

  The concert! The moment I remembered I was up and on my feet in seconds, almost too fast as I was about to lose my balance, but George was quicker, grabbing my elbow in just enough to time to keep me from toppling back down. I scrambled over to Cynthia, my watch lying beside her, which I had taken it off when me and Jake had decided to go walk down by the beach. “Shoot, its eight already. I gotta go,”

  “For what,” Cynthia asked, now a little worried, but I just waved her off, the two of them got worried too fast for everything.

  “Nothing much, the concert me and Casey were supposed to go to starts at ten, and she’s supposed to pick me up soon.” I called out a quick goodbye to my makeshift family, making sure to pause long enough to kiss Jake on the head and promise I’d read him his bedtime story tomorrow. George and Cynthia waved, but Jake had already taken their attention away, as soon as our embrace was over running back down to the swing set, bringing the two of them in tow. I chuckled as I made my way up the hill towards the house at a quick pace.

  The back screen door was opened slightly, the hinge never really working properly, and creaked loudly when I flung it open to scurry up the stairs. The stairs passed my feet two at a time, my patience to minimal to be able to take them at a normal route. My feet were still wet from the sprinkler outside, and I was lucky I didn’t slip back down them all crashing into the first floor after the decline of all the stairs. I slid into my room, managing to stop at the edge of the carpet that was laid out in the middle of my oak floored room.

  It would take no time at all to make my hair presentable and my make-up near perfect, but Casey was never late and always expected me to be as punctual as her. Which was a hard feat to accomplish. The concert was a half hours drive away and we didn’t know how long traffic was going to hold us back, but she couldn’t get off her shift at her new summer job soon enough to be able to take off any sooner.

  Casey was one of the first and few friends I’d had in the past four or so years. She saw past all the sadness that had been built up in me for so long, and tried to make me happy when it was clear that I wasn’t. Something about her spirit that had made her wishes come true, and slowly as our friendship grew, so did my optimism about everything. I never went to normal school, so making other friends was out of the question really, having been homeschooled mostly because of the first year’s here my lack of speaking in total. But she went out of her way to take time out of her days to spend as much of it as she could with me, and for that I was extremely grateful.

  I plastered on the mound of make-up that had gathered on my dresser onto my face, making sure I didn’t look too much like a clown. But all the extra make-up was really needed because of the scar that ran on my neck, it helped get rid of the boldness of the dark line across my only slightly tanned skin. It never really worked, instead it only got brighter a bit, and I sighed before stepping in front of the mirror. The car honked outside, an already impatient Casey wailing on her high pitched hymn that erupted from her horn. I was 5’10”, tall but truly I didn’t care, I had always been well muscled so it made up for the lankiness that usually came with girls who had the extra height. But on the other hand, I wasn’t one of those muscle monsters that looked like their face got plastered on top of a bull’s body. My skin was lightly tanned, that never seemed to go fully away year round, but got darker as the summer proceeded. My face wasn’t something I usually liked to look at but I had to or it would look worse than it already was. The scar ran down my jaw line, and up my ear, making an intricate looking design if you looked at it hard enough. My caretakers had said that it looked like someone had placed a heated knife to my face, but the details had faded over the years. I had hardened over all my hardships and my face fully reflected that, the edges growing more defined, and my eyes, now that I noticed had become a steely silver. They used to be a bright green, but must have slowly morphed since I was adopted, just another thing I’d have to deal with. But my hair was pretty much the only thing normal now about my face, it spiked in all directions a short mass of brown on top of my head.