Chapter 23. Petra's Diversion

They descended in forced silence. In the middle of the foyer, holding Panther by the leash, Daniel conversed with Gabby. Other guests scurried past them into the dinner hall for lunch. The Rosenthals strolled with Patrick and Petra in tow, Hanna pushed the wheelchair with her blind mother, and Trude shuffled by in a frilly dress smelling of soap. She gave Lilith a curious glance. There was no sign of the Schlitzberger twins, who must've already ventured inside to load their plates early.

Lilith lost her appetite. The fact that people could think about food seemed unreal to her in light of the future massacre that she had to stop, yet not knowing how. 

"Alfred!" Gabby called. "What did the doctor say? May I speak to him? Where is he?" Not a greeting to Lilith, not a question about how she felt or how the session went.

Daniel's face fell. "Pup, what's wrong?"

Panther energetically wagged his tail.

Lilith rushed to her pet and felt her knees give out. The enormity of the task ahead sapped her energy. She badly wanted to collapse into her parents' arms and confess.

Mom, Dad, I killed the doctor. I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to, I promise. Well, it's not me who did it, it was the room, but still...I declared myself heir. I commanded it, and it did it. It ate him, in seconds, bones and everything. I'm so scared. Tomorrow Rosehead will give birth to some monstrous baby thing and it will eat everyone in the mansion. They both will. Opa knows, but he's not doing anything about it because he's scared. I want to stop it but I don't know how. I need to see Ed, we're supposed to talk to Rosehead, but I feel so weak, like I've forgotten how to walk.

Lilith wanted to cry. Her self-imposed courage quickly crumbled. She buried her face in Panther's neck.

"Anything exciting I missed?" he grunted in the merest suggestion of a doggy cough.

"Later," she whispered.

"What did the doctor say?" Gabby repeated.

"Well, nothing major, as it turns out. Simple adjustment issues, dissociative behavior due to time and climate change." Alfred's voice sounded strained. "He said she needs fresh air, which may be conveniently provided by the garden. The fragrance, the splendor, it will do her well. I think we'll go on a little stroll before joining you for lunch, won't we, my dear girl?"

Lilith sniffled, too embarrassed to show her face.

"Thanks, Dad. But I think I'll take her with me," said Daniel. "We'll walk Panther around the property, if you don't mind. How would you like that, buddy?" He ruffled Panther's coat.

Panther obediently wiggled.

Lilith's heart hammered. Did her father believe her?

"Thank you, Alfred, thank you so much. I'm glad it's nothing major. I'm so grateful for everything you've done for us. Truly. Didn't know what else to try," Gabby trilled. "I'm sure Lilith would like your company."

Lilith had a sudden urge to vomit on her mother's shoes.

"Love? You didn't hear me, did you? I'm taking Lilith on a walk," Daniel said louder.

Just then a shrill high-pitched scream came from the dinner hall, together with the sound of breaking china, a collective intake of breath, and a child's explosive crying.

Alfred darted in. Always incessantly curious, Gabby followed, Daniel after her. Lilith used the commotion to relay her news to Panther, half-crouching, half-running next to him.

"The doctor is dead," she whispered. "I declared myself heir and I asked the mansion to take him. The room crushed and ate him, Panther. It was terrible. And it's all my fault." She crammed in as many details as she could in just a few sentences.