Chapter 15. The Unexpected Interrogation

Anger contorted Alfred's face. Lilith recognized her rosy beret in the mastiff's jaws. Ed pulled her away from the window, pointing under the bed. Lilith protested in urgent whispers, arguing that Bär would sniff them out in no time, Panther especially. It would constitute the end of their campaign, and all three of them would be punished for breaking the rules. She rushed to the door. Ed blocked her, sticking the pad under her nose.

TRUST ME.

Their eyes locked.

"Why? Why should I trust you?" said Lilith.

"Does anyone care for my opinion here?" Panther's grumble got lost at about two feet above the floor. Ed seemed to be getting used to the idea of the talking dog, his eyes on Lilith.

She didn't breathe.

BECAUSE I'M YOUR FRIEND. IT'S WHAT FRIENDS DO.

"You are? Oh. I'm...I didn't...It's so...okay, I trust you." Seized by a multitude of feelings, she kissed him on the cheek, scooped up Panther, and slid under the bed, tucking herself as close to the wall as possible, hugging her whippet tightly and clamping his muzzle shut. Her heart chittered like a squirrel.

"I'm not an idiot, you know," mumbled Panther.

"Shhh!"

"What, he gets a kiss and I don't?"

"Panther! Will you kindly shut up?"

There was a knock on the front door, and the entire cottage shivered like a leaf in the wind.

"It does move," Lilith whispered. "I think it might be afraid of grandfather, did you feel that?"

"I thought we were supposed to keep quiet?"

Below, someone turned off the radio.

"Ed, darling?" The woman's voice cut through the sudden silence. "Get the door, please."

Ed, anticipating his duty, was already stepping out.

Lilith got busy blending in.

"Don't know why you decided to trust him," Panther grumbled under his breath.

"Will you be quiet?"

"How can we possibly hide from anyone under the bed when any fool, upon sticking his head down, will spot us like a pair of shiny morons?"

"That's enough."

Panther scoffed.

Lilith tucked her legs as close to her body as possible and breathed as shallowly as was tolerable. Dust tickled her nose. She sneezed into Panther's neck. He snarled. Lilith hissed at him, but the next moment, unable to suppress the urge, sneezed again. Panther bit her arm in warning. Lilith pinched her nose. Panther squirmed out of her embrace. At last, they lay still, breathing hard.

Indistinguishable voices echoed through the floor. A door slammed shut and the rush of footsteps followed. Bär must've been leading the party upstairs.

Lilith's stomach twisted into a knot.

The door opened. A pair of bright pumps strolled in.

"I tell you, Alfred," drawled the same female voice, "the kitchen would've been a better choice. I could offer you..."

Ed's sneakers shuffled in, then Gabby's flats, Daniel's loafers, and Alfred's polished lace-ups.

"Something to drink?"

"Ah! How quaint. I see you turned it into a studio. Very well. I rather like it here, Rosalinde, thank you. No time for a drink, I'm afraid," Alfred said cheerily. "Ed, my dear boy, I hope you don't mind."