Chapter 1: Write Back

TOO YOUNG

Chapter 1

Write Back

Dear Mommy,

11/2/2008

I hope you're alright. Daddy and I are here by your bedside. We're waiting for you to wake up. It's been 9 months since I've last talked to you. I have so much to tell you. My swim coach told me that I'm doing really good with my backstroke. I wish I could have personally told you, but you are still sleeping. I didn't know that people could sleep for that long.

Daddy says you're always tired. And that I'd always miss you when you were awake. It's really weird though. Whenever I try to wake you up, you never do. Do you still hate me for what I did to Katrina? You know that I never meant to hurt her. You know that I love her with all of my heart. She misses you so much, but... I'd rather just tell you in person. It's my birthday tomorrow. I hope you would wake up when I visit you. I really miss you, Mommy. I'm sorry for what I did. I hope you can forgive me. I love you. Happy Birthday!

Love,

Katherine

...

KNOCK, KNOCK, KNOCK!

"Oh my, Jesus!" I fell off my bed and landed on my butt. Good going, klutz.

"Katrina?" Who's this? It's not Katherine. NOT EVEN. She never wakes up before 12. What a slob.

I got up to my feet and hid the letter under my pillow.

I opened the door. To my surprise, it's Katherine.

"Wow. Who are you?" I frowned.

"Very funny. Dad wants you dressed. We're gonna be late for the swim meet."

Oh, shoot. I forgot. I've forgotten all about it; that letter got the best of me. I've never should've snooped through Dad's stuff, but I just want to know what happened to mom. I have no memory of her. Not a single one.

I got dressed - sweats to cover my swimsuit. Gosh. I need to buy more clothes. I'm such a guy.

"KATRINA!" Dad's mad.

I ran down the stairs. I missed a step, I almost slipped. I felt like I was gonna die. What the heck is wrong with me? If Dad found out how much I'm being clumsy today. He'd flip and scold me. AGAIN.

"What took you so long?" He was kind of aggravated, but he tries to hide it.

"I was reading Mom's books. I'm sorry, Dad." I hugged him. He sighed and hugged me back.

I love Daddy. Even if he tries to be all parental and controlling, he's still the sweetest and most sensitive guy I know. He can be strict, but he's so chill. He's like my best friend.

"Let's go, okay? Coach Tuck's gonna explode when his two best swimmers aren't in the pool."

I chuckled. Oh, Dad. Everyone knows Katherine's the best. At everything, actually.

She's got abs and an hourglass figure. Like, seriously? She's 16! She has a 4.6 GPA. She's the captain of the swim team. She's an active member of Red Cross Youth. She does ballet and Muay Thai. She already has her license. She's still a virgin. No boyfriend since birth, but all the guys in school are all over her. She's so beautiful. And she's the nicest, most down-to-earth person I know. Oh, she also does pageants. She's only been to three, but she's won them all. She models too.

But, her voice though. I'm not even gonna talk about it. She's good at everything except for music. God gave music to me.

Dad hopped into the passenger seat. Katherine's driving. I got stuck in the back seat. Well, I have the sports bags to keep me company.

The swim meet went well. Katherine got a gold medal. Of course, me too. Well, we're in the same team anyway. She did all the work though. She's the anchor. The fastest. I went before her, but I lost my focus and I almost banged my head turning around. Dad lectured me. AGAIN.

I don't know why he always do that. It's not my fault that I'm prone to accidents. Why does he overreact though? It's not like I'm gonna die or anything. All my life, I've been treated as if something's wrong with me. That I would screw up and die. WHY?

Katherine's letter to Mom. That's all I can think about. I keep on thinking that Katherine did something bad to me to make mom leave us. Mom was in a coma for 9 months. She woke up 13 days after Katherine's 12th birthday. Dad said Mom wrote back to Katherine and then she left us.

We've never heard from her ever since. She wasn't even there when Katherine graduated from middle school. She was never in our swim meets. Never in Katherine's recitals.

She was never there. Not even for me.

Song: Far Away by Nickelback

Whenever I read her books, she'd write about how much she loves both of us. But she wrote a letter to me that I was her favorite. She said, "My dear, Katrina. In you, I see the young me. I know you can do great things in your life. I believe in you. Your passion for music... I would have never been as good as you. You started singing when you were three. I was awed by how angelic you sounded. You probably got your Dad's genes. I know that you and your sister are not getting along, but please... Just try to understand her. You know her condition. I know that you will take care of her. The way your dad took care of me when I was in a coma for almost 10 months. You should always keep an open mind about your sister. I don't want things to go amok again. Take care of your dad for me. I love him very much, but I have to leave you all. I would come back for you. I won't miss a single swim meet that you go to. I would be there during your graduations. This I promise you. I love you, my child. You are my favorite - but don't tell your sister. Write back. Farewell!"

Everytime I read this letter, I would tear up. Why did she leave us? She's so unfair. She told us she love us, but she left us. SHE IS SO STUPID! I hate her! SHE'S SUCH A HYPOCRITE! I'm so happy that I don't have a single memory of her because I DON'T EVER WANT TO KNOW HER! She hurt Dad. She promised him that she would never leave him. Even if Dad's really difficult to be with. How could she do that? HOW?! She lead us all on. I should just rip this letter and burn it! AND FLUSH THE ASHES DOWN THE TOILET! I'm gonna prove to her that I am better than her! She's so heartless. I know she's mentally sick, but Dad told me she always got through it. She fought it. BUT WHY DIDN'T SHE FIGHT FOR OUR LOVE?! What happened to make her leave us? Was it because of Katherine? Dad? ME? Does she have another family?! I DETEST HER. If ever she comes back to us, I'd just be as cold to her as she was to us.

And write back? What the heck does that even mean? HOW COULD I EVEN WRITE BACK TO YOU?! I don't know where you are. I don't even know if you're still alive. I know you've been with us for 12 years, but the 6 years of you not being here... Was far too much pain. It didn't even feel like you loved us for 12 years.

I really do wish I can write back to you and tell you all of this. And tell you how bad of a mother you are. YOUR BOOKS ARE WORKS OF FAKE! You say that we should always keep our promises. You say that even during the hardest of times, we shouldn't give up on one another. How could you be such an inspiration yet also be such a hypocrite? I DESPISE, HATE, AND DETEST YOU. I WILL NEVER FORGIVE YOU.

I do hope one day, you'll read this. And I do hope that you WRITE BACK.

End of Chapter 1