I:X

True to his word, Peter had called Diana earlier in the day and reminded her of their date. He didn't tell her what they were doing or even given her a hint as to what kind of clothes to wear. This worried the girl; what if she wore a skirt and they were going to be outside the entire time? Sure it was almost May, but it was still fairly cool at night in Virginia. 

     But she didn't worry too much about what clothing she wore. All she cared about was that she was free to wear whatever she wanted without the eyes of everyone in school staring at her. Especially since she wasn't wearing her braids anymore. Sometimes that place made her feel like she was suffocating. 

     Diana ran her pick through her hair again before grooming her hair back towards her head. She had been feeling pretty unsure of her hair ever since she'd told her mom she wanted to take a break from having them in braids for a while. Of course she was trying to have healthy hair, but she did miss the length and low-maintenance style.  Which was why she'd decided to throw some makeup on. If her hair was a problem then he could always look at her face. 

     It was strange for her; seeing herself actually putting in more than enough effort to look nice. Her normal attire consisted of either a random t-shirt she pulled out of her closet that morning and whatever pants fit with the weather. There were only certain occasions when she went to the very back of her closet and pulled out a decent outfit. And tonight was one of those occasions. 

     Diana overlooked her outfit in the mirror again, wondering if she should replace the bright yellow top that exposed her stomach with something a little less bold. 

     "No," she told herself, shaking her head, "you look bad as all hell." 

     The teenager smiled at herself and pulled her pants up just a bit higher as the doorbell rang downstairs. She yelled to her mom that she'd get it and moved as fast as she could to grab a jacket and get down to the door. The platform sandals made it hard to rush down the staircase but she made it without breaking a bone in her body. 

     Diana moved to open the door yet was unable to bring herself to actually turn the knob. Instead, her hand just lingered on the object until the doorbell rang again. This forced her to turn the knob and pull the door open, revealing Peter with a wide smile on his face.

     The girl raised an eyebrow at him before eyeing him intently, "No flowers?"

     The silver-haired boy's eyes widened and he went to say something, only to be cut off by the girl's laughter. She told him that she didn't want anything other than his company. While very cheesy, it was true. Diana had never been one to expect (or want, for that matter) roses or for a boyfriend to surprise her with dates. She had grown up with the bare minimum and anything more was always a shock. 

     Peter's eyes drifted up to her hair, "You took your braids out."

     Diana crossed her arms over her chest, "Is that a problem?"  

     "Dee, I wasn't saying that, it's just different. A good different though, I like it." 

      The girl pinched herself on the hand, ashamed for letting herself jump to conclusions. But Peter simply placed his pointed finger under her chin and made her look up at him. 

     "You look like a bombshell Ross, as always." 

     She couldn't help the smile that spread across her face as he pulled her out of the house, barely allowing her to close the door behind her. The girl yelled a rushed goodbye to her mom and wondered where exactly her boyfriend was taking her.