23. Sixteen

✘ ✘

After Scott fussed maniacally around underneath the water, his body stilled and I immediately yanked my hand out of the water. I stumbled back slowly as I looked up at my uncle through my watering eyes. I just killed Scott.. and I don't know how I can cope with that for this moment. My hands were trembling, not because it was in ice water, but because I had just push Scott underwater and I literally kept him underneath until he died.

Uncle Alan said they are going to be okay.. so they are going to be okay. If there was anyone other than Scott who I trusted, it would be Uncle Alan and Aunt Marin. I believe in his words, and I refuse to go against them and challenge him.

"Carson? You okay?" Isaac cautiously came up to me, with a confused look on his face. I pursed my lips as I turned to him with a raised eyebrow.

"Not to sound like a bitch.. but I just kept Scott underneath water until he literally stopped breathing and his heart stopped beating. Why would I be okay?" I questioned, staring up at the tall guy. I always had my suspicions about Isaac, but I never have been around him that much to fully understand him. But one thing I did grasp is that he is extremely pessimistic and that he is fond of wearing scarfs.

He nodded as he rose his almost perfect arched eyebrows. "That's also true." He sighed as Lydia made her way over to us.

"How long are they going to be like that? I'm literally going out of my mind right now watching them there like that." Lydia muttered as she took a seat next to me. I ran my fingers through my hair as I anxiously bounced my leg, my eyes scanning over the three occupied metal tubs.

"My uncle said they should be out for 4 hours, 5 hours maximum. They've never actually been to the Nemeton before.. but tapping into their subconscious to locate it is where the problems kicks in." I sighed out, dragging a shaky hand over my face. "Each of their bodies are different, who knows how long it may actually be?" This thought then disheveled my thoughts as I stood up quickly.

My eyes laid onto my grimoire, knowing that it was time for me to perform the spell that can get their hearts beating again, but slow enough to tap into their subconscious. Uncle Alan was busying his self by lighting candles that were positioned around the room. Seeing that fire is an element of nature, witches use lit candles to draw power from to help us complete our spells.

"Okay, Carson." Uncle Alan said as he swiftly extinguished the last match. "As you go through with the spell, this pile of salt here with separate into three different lines. When all three of them connects with their object of sentiment, then that means the spell is complete. Carson, I know that this may be a lot for you, but if you feel yourself straining at any time.. you can stop." Uncle Alan explained as I nodded, rubbing my palms that were getting sweaty onto my jeans.

"Okay, I got it." I said with a nod as I felt a hand on my back. Once I turned around, I noticed that it was Lydia. She was wearing an encouraging smile as she sent me a nod, leaving me to send one back. This spell is kind of a really huge deal because I can't live in anticipation, just hoping that they would wake up. I placed the grimoire in front of me, slowly flipping towards the page of the desired spell. Once I read over it, I began chanting it. "Victus phasmatis ex eleto. Revertas phasmatis ut victus. Victus phasmatis ex eleto. Revertas phasmatis ut victus." I spoke as I watched the pile of salt finally disintegrate.

Heather. The lifeguard at the pools. Emily. Kyle. The band teacher. Mr. Harris. The ER Attending. Dr. Hilyard. Deputy Tara Graeme. Mr. Westover. The names and faces of the previous successful sacrifices occupied my mind as I stumbled back slightly as I felt more and more of the magic absorb into me.