Chapter 13 - training

The crowd still roars but I ignore it. What was wrong with Kai? Then, I remember what he said in the train about not wanting to be seen as a team. He was nice to me, but only when hidden from public eyes. To Panem, we had nothing to do with each other. And, by the looks of it, he wanted to keep it that way. I try not to feel hurt, but it is no use. I thought we were friends! It’s all I can do not to burst out crying. No one would sponsor me if I started blubbing in front of Panem! “Pull yourself together!” I tell myself sternly. I was upset about Kai not wanting to hold my hand? I’d be sobbing non-stop in the Games if I couldn’t bear the idea that Kai didn’t like me! Honestly! I turn my attention to the other tributes. The Careers looked reasonable, glittering gold suits and dresses. However, when I crane my neck round to look at the people behind me, I see tributes dressed as cows, sheep, trains and even as a bale of hay. Was that how the Capitol saw us? As sheep, waiting to be herded around? No, Mother wasn’t like that. Was she? My head was a mess. Our chariot slows to a halt and I look up. All the chariots are lined up in a semi-circle around a balcony, towering high above us. I can just make out a man standing at the edge, looking out over the crowd. Behind him is a screen, projecting the man out so that everyone can see him. It is the President. President Snow. The one who let me go home with Finnick. The one who probably ordered me to be picked from the reaping. I hate him. What gave him the right to choose where we go, or whether to die in an arena full of mental kids??

“Welcome, young tributes, to the Capitol! I very much hope that you enjoy your stay here. I would like to take this moment to add that you all look spectacular in your… costumes.” He grins and a drip of blood leaks down his chin. I see this and think ‘vampire’ but I know I am just being silly. With that, the President retreats to the darkness of his home. The screen which previously projected Snow, now shows each of the chariots in turn. Each shot lasts around 5 seconds.

It may have been my imagination, but I think that the camera lingers on the flowing water of my dress. I look down, expecting to see a deep puddle of water, only to find that it evaporates when it comes in contact with the wooden floor of the cart. Genius. Another of the Capitol’s inventions, no wonder. The chariots jerk back into motion as we trundle away and off back the way we came. However, instead of going to speed of snail, which we did on the way, the horses break into a canter and we reach the doorway in no time. At last, we reach the cover of the exit and we are allowed to dismount. Felon stands by our chariot and grins broadly as he helps us down and leads us back to the lift. I smile back at him weakly.

“You were amazing. Everyone was staring at your wonderful dress. Your stylist really is something. I can’t wait to meet her. I tell you Ash, you are the talk of the people! Oh the sponsors will be pouring in! You can have anything you want in the arena! Now, what is your weapon of choice, my dear? Or have you already discussed that with your father? I’m sure he’ll know!” Felon chatters. Luckily, another tribute joins us in the lift, making Felon shut up. But not for long.

“Ah! What’s your name, my dear? Let me guess, you’re from 7?” He asks, grinning. The girl turns and glares at him.

“I’m Oak Mason, if you must know. Now do you think you could shut your Capitol-infected mouth before I punch someone?” Oak snarls. We simultaneously take a step back, so we are pushed up against the wall. Oak grins an evil kind of grin and I realise that she is the same girl who glared at me in the chariots. Of all “What have you got against us? I mean, aren’t you Johanna’s daughter? And she’s a friend of my dad’s?” I venture bravely, though I feel sure that she is about to rip my head off.

“And why would I like you Capitol-lover. I hate your Dad. He hangs around with those Capitol scum.” She hisses.

“You have no right, no right to say anything about my Dad! He had no choice. His whole life would have been ruined. Like Johanna’s was. And as for the Capitol people, they’re not told the truth. They don’t understand what really happens out here. My mother certainly doesn’t! And yes, my mother is Capitol; you got a problem with that?” I snarl back. She was not going to insult my parents and get away with it.

“Straight from a family of brain-dead idiots! Not like Auntie Johanna. She’s clever, brave, strong…” Oak grins.

“Clever, brave and strong enough to get her whole family killed?? I wonder how you survived. You should have gone with your parents.” I smile at her. Without warning, Oak leaps towards me. Kai, who had been standing and listening to the whole conversation, tried to heroically dive in front of me, to protect me, but he misjudged his landing, and he hit the far side of the lift, which was still slowly making its path upwards. He crumpled to the floor. Felon gave a sob of horror, before closing his mouth again.

By this time, Oak had reached me and was desperately trying to gouge my eyes out. I fought back for all I was worth, tugging violently at her hair. We writhed on the floor, like feral cats. Felon now began an uncontrollable whimpering, but I blocked him out. I had to pay Oak back for what she had said about my parents.

I opened my mouth to bite her arms as they reached out and clawed at my face.

I felt a drop of blood enter my mouth but I spat it out. What would Mother think of me now?

All of a sudden, white, skeletal like Peacekeepers march in and haul us away from each other. Oak fights back but I know it is pointless. My body is exhausted. Oak is dragged off up to her floor and I hear her yelling ‘Get off me you worthless scum!’ The Peacekeepers lead me back to my room and dump me on my bed. They shut the door behind them. I lie down and close my eyes, but my brain refuses to sleep. Blood drips from my lip and cheek onto the snow-white pillow.