chapter 3 - mentor

“Oy! Come back ‘ere!” He yells, his mask of a face shattering. His cheeks turn a purplish colour. I giggle, despite myself. I run to the edge of the road and scramble up one of the many trees lining the track. I reach over 5 metres before I am forced to stop, for fear of the branches snapping. I peer down at the Peacekeeper who is now yelling at me furiously.

“Look, if you don’t come down here, RIGHT NOW, I’m going to lose my job!” he yells. I spit on him. He can stuff his stupid job!

“If I get down from here, I’m going to die.” I call back recklessly. They’ll shoot me for sure for that. Be easier for Dad and Coral if I just die here and now. I think to myself.

“Look, kid. I’ve got kids like you back in 2. My son’s soul mate is going into the arena as well. Don’t go thinking I like this job but it is the only thing that is stopping me being and Avox, do you understand?” He says, his voice empty the early fury. I sigh. I do understand, though they have a lot better chance in 2 than I do in 4, with Kai. Before I given in, I ask him

“Tell me your name and I’ll come down.” So the whole escape wasn’t pointless, I learnt Peacekeepers name.

“It’s Charlie, Charlie Sew.” He says. I scramble down. I don’t break my promises. I hear Sew breathe a sigh of relief.

Well, it’ll be something for the cameras anyway.” He sighs, defeated. I look around and see small cameras, hidden in the shadows. I guess Dads plan of keeping low went out of the window. For the rest of the trip to the train station, the cameras follow us and I do my best to look sorry. It’s not very easy. At last, we reach the safety of the train. I scramble aboard without hesitation. To my surprise, Sew stays where he is. I see Kai standing a few metres from me. I turn to him as the doors slam shut and we lurch forward. I find myself falling backwards onto Kai. I try to stop myself, reaching out for anything to hold onto but come away with a fistful of cloth. I am tumbling backwards into oblivion. I yell out. THUMP. I find myself lying on a squashy bed of fabric.

“Oy! Get off.” A muffled voice says from beneath me. Before I can get to my feet, Felon totters into the carriage.

“Don’t you know, you’re not supposed to hurt the opponent before the official Games.” He tuts. I find my feet and stand up. A slightly squashed Kai grumbles to himself before walking off in a huff. I make to go after him but Felon stops me and ushers me into the opposite direction. I make to protest but he stops me

“Come and meet your mentor, Ashley. I’m sure you’ll be ever so pleased!” Felon squeaks in his remarkably silly voice. I’ve always wondered how the Capitol can speak in such a way and not feel embarrassed. I shrug to show how nonchalant I

am but really, I am fizzing inside. I don’t really know any mentors (Anchor doesn’t really count), except for Haymitch. I love him, personally but Dad

doesn’t. I think he’s very funny, drunk

and all but Dad says it is just another disadvantage for district 12. I don’t see

why though. It’s not as if the mentors do anything, but 12 as least get an

entertainer whereas we get an old grumpy grouch who moans at us the entire time. Well, that’s what happened last year. He’s our next door neighbour, Anchor. He just sits in his house. I sometimes forget he’s even there!

I look round at all the finery that lines each carriage as we march through them. I glance over at Felon, his spotty fur wrinkled at the sign of his displeasure. Last year, I spent the whole of the reaping watching it move and imagining the beast whose fur pelt is now used to decorate Felon’s face. Now, I have no time for such games. I gaze around at wonder as we come to the dining carriage. Splendour even I haven’t seen piled high on a mahogany table made with the finest care. I picture someone from 7 carving such a beauty before being forced to sell it to the Capitol. Suddenly I don’t want to be here. To sit down at this table seems like a crime in itself. Before I can escape, Felon pushes me onward.

“He should be by the aquarium. He always is.” Felon squeaks like a mouse.

“Who? Who is my mentor? It’s not Anchor is it? Please say it isn’t?” I plead.

“Goodness, no, he died a several months back. Now we turn to the only victor suitable for the post.” Felon is now hopping up and down in excitement.

“Now, am I right in believing that you are dear Finnick’s daughter?” Felon giggles as though this is funny.

“Yeah. I am. You got a problem with that?” I hiss back. Felon was such an idiot.

“Oh, my dear, I am so sorry. I did not mean to upset you.” Felon hangs his head as though he has been scolded. I pat his head awkwardly like a little dog. He perks up immediately. With a flourish he opens the door in front of us.