chapter 9 - Capitol

I sigh, fed up. I start to walk back to my room but Dad catches me. Or, Finnick catches me. He’d gone back to mentor mode, not Dad mode.

“Ash. Surely you’re not leaving? Felon says the hot chocolát has just arrived.” Finnick states. I sigh again. I am about to politely decline when my stomach gives me a warning rumble, reminding me that half a croissant did not satisfy it and that it was expecting more. I’m not sure how I deciphered so much from just one rumble but I did. Groaning, I turn around and drag my feet after Finnick. When I reach the dining room door, I have to close my eyes and will myself not to shy from Kai’s intense stare. After a moment, I push the door open. I catch Kai’s eye almost immediately. I hold his stare for an entire second before inspecting the floor. I want to punch myself for being such a coward. Maybe Felon was right, I am a stupid little midget who won’t last a day in the Games. Luckily, Felon saves me from self-harming by saying,

“Ash dear! Come, come. Sit down! We shall be arriving at the Capitol shortly and you look like you haven’t seen food for days, looking at how thin you are! The crowd is just going to love you!!” he squeaks. I glare at him until he has the sense to shut up. Only then do I sit down. Unfortunately, the only spare seat is opposite Kai. I am forced to take it and every time I look up, I see Kai’s accusing stare, his black eyes fixed on me intently. Finally, breakfast is finished, only after my tummy insisting that I eat every morsel possible. Happily, I sit back and find myself enveloped by soft velvet.

“Kai! Ash! I’ve just realised!” Felon exclaims. We turn to him.

“What?? Are we almost at the Capitol?” Kai asks excitedly. I hope we aren’t I could wait forever to arrive. I wonder where Mother will be by now.

“No, but you haven’t watched the reapings!” Felon tells us. We nod slowly, not quite understanding.

“But then lets watch them now. Come on! You, Avox, fetch Finnick would you? He’s to come to the viewing room. We’re going to watch the reapings!!” Felon cries. The Avox beside him bows his head and hurries out the room. I realise that Finnick must have snuck off somewhere while I was eating. Any excuse to avoid talking about Annie. Felon ushers us through and we find ourselves in a room filled with sofas and chairs. All the furniture is centred around a large black rectangle. A television. Same as ours. Not many people have a television in their houses. What’s the point, when you can go to the massive white one in the village square?

“What’s that?” Kai asks beside me.

“A television! Also known as a TV. It projects images to the watcher and shows you what is happening in the Capitol. Also, you can watch the Hunger Games on it.” I explain proudly.

“I know what a TV is, I just didn’t know it looked like that!” Kai cries indignantly.  “Whatever!” I retort rudely and plonk myself down on the soft sofa. “You wouldn’t survive a day in the Capitol.” I continue. Felon glances over.

“Neither would you!” Kai replies. I snort.

“I’ve lived there for eleven years. I think I could live there for a day!” I snarl. Felon and Kai turn to gawp at me.

“You’ve lived in the Capitol?? For eleven years?? And you didn’t tell me??” Kai asks, incredulous. I glare at him.

“Oh, and when was I supposed to tell you? When I punched you?? Oh yeah, that would go down well! ‘Hey Kai! You’ve annoyed me today, so I’m going to punch you in the face. Oh, and by the way, I’m from the Capitol!’ And besides, I thought you knew! I thought Finnick told you all.” I exclaim. Kai scowls at the floor. Felon continues to stare at me. Feeling guilty, I inspect the ceiling. Suddenly, Finnick bursts in.

“Right! You ok?” He begins. Then he notices Felon staring at me.

“I thought we were watching the reapings, not Ash!” Finnick admonishes.

“Oh, you’re right. Well, better get going then! And Finnick?” Felon asks. Finnick nods. “Who’s Ash’s mum?” he blurts out.

“Zitkala Lozanda. You know, the one in Tribute Tower.” He replies, not looking meeting Felon’s gaze. Apparently Felon recognises the name, for he gasps.

“Finnick! I wouldn’t have thought it of you! Taking the poor girl from her lovely life in the Capitol. Back to the districts! You know the risks.” He cries.

“She chose to. It was her choice. Now! Are we going to watch these reapings or not?” Finnick expertly changes the subject. Being the dimwit he was, Felon immediately began ordering the Avox’s to turn on the television and so on. I am itching to help them, to let them know I am on their side, but I know there is no point, Felon wouldn’t let me. Sighing, I turn towards the TV which flickers to life. Kai and Finnick sit either side of me.

“You really are half-Capitol, aren’t you? You’re one of them. You don’t belong here. And I know what you did with Felon. You’re all the same, you Capitol people.” Kai snarls under his breath.

“If that’s what you think, then you are just as bad as them. Just because I spent some of my life in the Capitol. It’s not like I had a choice was it? It was just Mother and me. Then, I found Finnick and left, that very same night. I didn’t even know him and I still left!” I retort, angry.

“Whatever. You’re a loser and a traitor. And now you’re going to pay. With you’re life!” he hisses.

“Oh yeah? What would you have done then? Run away in the dead of night? Started a rebellion? Hardly! You’d just stay living a life of luxury for the rest of your life. Like I would have done. Only I was brave enough to leave. Become an ordinary person.” I reply.

“So you’re stupid as well as a traitor, a trickster and an annoying little midge.” Kai sneers.

“Please Kai, I didn’t want to be Capitol. I’m not a traitor. I’m in the same situation as you. Please don’t kill me. I, I don’t want to die.” I whimper, cursing myself for being such a wimp. Kai ignores me.