chapter 2 - the male tribute

“Kai Septimus. Come on up, brave soldier!” I gulp. Kai was one of the boys who came up to me on the first day of school and, more importantly, the guy I punched. He’ll be out to get me for sure. Not to mention the fact I won’t survive the first ten minutes! I wonder what Dad will say. He’ll be angry for sure. He’ll probably go tell the Capitol how I can’t be in the Hunger Games and I’ll go back to just being normal Ash. Well, not normal but back to who I was. Yeah, Dad will put them right and then I won’t have to go to the Hunger Games with Kai after all, I reassure myself.

“Now, shake hands, come on, don’t be shy.” Felon instructs us. To my surprise, Kai’s hand is shaking, but only I seem to notice. He seems very afraid, not like all the other Careers in the last few years. I see he is going to collapse if he doesn’t hold onto something. Trying to help, I grab his hand and give it a gentle squeeze, to show I’m on his side. For a moment, he doesn’t seem to notice, lost in his own world. However, hisses “Get off me, freak,” Under his breath and shakes my hand away. Before I have time to retaliate, Felon is announcing that it is time to leave the stage and to follow him. My legs move numbly after him and I hear Kai traipsing after me. Once inside the Justice Building, I am directed into a room and left alone. I wonder if I am supposed to do anything. Dad never told me anything about the Hunger Games, in case it ‘disturbed me.’ Doesn’t really make a difference because I have to watch them each year anyway. But they never show this room. What happens in here? Just then, my question is answered. Dad bursts in. He flops down onto the chair next to me.

“Ash. Oh, what’s happened! Look, Ash, it’s going to be tough but you can do it. Make yourself small and try to go unnoticed, you’re good at that.” Dad starts.

“But Dad, they can’t do this, you said so yourself. Why don’t you go to the Capitol and tell them that they can’t do that!” I ask, as if it was obvious.

“Oh, Ash, you don’t really think they’d listen to me do you?” Dad sighs.

“But they do! When you go away on ‘business’!” I cry desperately, considering, for the first time, that I might actually be one of those kids who go to the Capitol.

“Look, Ash, you know the kind of ‘business’ I do. I don’t choose to do it. They force me to. But if you get out of there alive, we could be the richest people in the world, richest, most famous, most popular… anything you could ever want.!” Dad says with a false enthusiasm. I sigh.

“But Dad, I don’t want any of that stuff. I just want to be home with you, eating our delicious platter of fish, and lovely seafood…” I begin daydreaming again.

“Ash, they’ll be much nicer food at the Capitol. Now, listen, promise you’ll try. You can win, ok? Remember Johanna Mason? That should be your tactic, ok?” Dad insists. I pause. I shouldn’t really give Dad and false hope of survival.

“Leave, now. Time’s up.” A Peacekeeper demands, dragging Dad away from me, despite how much he struggles. Then he goes still. I see the Peacekeeper relax his grip and notice his mistake instantly. Dad lunges forward and envelopes me in a massive bear hug. I am taken by surprise. Dad usually despises physical contact. Then again, this isn’t usual. Before I can return his kindness, he is ripped form my grasp and yanked out of the room. I have a feeling that that was the last time I will ever see him again. Several tears flow down my face before I can stop them. I reach up to wipe my tears away when Coral shuffles in.

“Hey Ash. Um, you know how you’re allowed to bring a token from your district…” Coral begins, tears flowing down her cheeks. I nod, seeing where this is going.

“Well, I was wondering if you’d where this?” Coral asks, holding out a small hollow shell. I recognise it. It is the one that Dad wears around his neck. I gaze at it. Dad usually keeps it out of sight or at least doesn’t let me inspect it. I reach my hand out, wanting to touch it, to hold it forever. Coral obediently hands it over. I feel it’s smooth edges, it’s warm comforting feel. I look up.

“But, where’d you get it?” I ask.

“Finnick wanted me to give it to you.” Coral says, her voice a mere whisper.

“Oh. I’m going to miss you so!” I cry out before I can stop myself. It is clearly what Coral has been waiting for and throws her arms around me. Unlike with Dad, I wrap my arms round her scarily skinny stomach. I lean into her and breathe in her sweet honey-like smell. We stay that way for what seems like eternity until the Peacekeeper returns. I know I’ve had longer with Coral than with Dad but still the hug seems to be over far too soon. I cry for Coral to come back while she is herded out of the room. Unlike Dad, Coral doesn’t bother to fight back, knowing it is pointless. Yet another thing different between Coral and Dad. Dad tries things, even if they are pointless whereas Coral just doesn’t bother. I sigh and await my next person. No one comes. I’m surprised but I shouldn’t have been. After all, who was going to come and say goodbye. Coral is my only friend and Dad my only relative. After 5 minutes, the Peacekeeper returns, grunting for me to follow. I do. The silence is unbearable. I’ve always hated silence because it reminds me of when Dad is away and I am left to the mercies of the monsters that haunt my house. Dad says to grow up but there are monsters. Bad memories. I look up at the Peacekeeper, his face set like a mask.

“What’s your name?” I ask tentatively.

“None of your business.” He grunts, still looking straight ahead. I grind my

 teeth. I’m and going to die in an arena full of vicious fighting machines and I

can’t even get an answer to a harmless question. I dart to the left.The

Peacekeeper grabs me but I slip between his legs, tripping him up.