Chapter Nine: Tanzaku Town

Remember to comment and vote. Thanks!

Recap:

I came face to face with Monkey, an ANBU captain. I narrowed my eyes at him as he glanced at the picture. "Monkey," I sad coolly and he nodded at me. "Get rid of the picture," he ordered. Balancing on the window sill, he looked back at me. "We are the roots that support the great trunk of Konoha, invisible, from inside the earth. Never forget that." As he left, I sneered. "I don't think I could." Looking back at the picture, I glared at it angrily. I have a mission to complete.

Chapter Nine: Tanzaku Town

While walking along a dirt trail in the woods, I looked at the mission report and felt a sense of dread. I was to be back up for Naruto Uzumaki, who had left a couple days to Tanzaku Town to investigate something. Sighing, I slid the paper back into my pocket, annoyed. If Danzo was going to send me on a mission, he could have at least told me the details. And why Naruto, why not some annoying bratty Genin who I could glare at? But it was the blonde, who had a sort of energy that drew you to him. It was impossible not to be his friend, with his cheery attitude and sparkling blue eyes.

I remembered the first time I had met him. A young Michi sat at a desk alone, eating lunch. Her shoulders were hunched with sadness and her eyes were red from crying. An older boy, who was also alone, looked at her in curiosity. He moved and sat next to her, studying her. "I'm Naruto Uzumaki and I'm going to be the next Hokage!" She jumped in suprise and eventually smiled hesitantly at him. "I'm Michi Uchiha. As for my dream.......I'm not sure." His eyes sparkled and, for some reason unknown to her, his grin grew bigger. "It's an adventure, then! When you find out, promise you'll tell me." Their pinkies interlocked and they both smiled, for both had made their first true friend.

That was years ago and things had changed. I had been moved to the top, while he stayed on the bottom, of the ladder of life. Wiping my mind blank, I continued down the trail, and stopped as I reached a worn sign. "Tanzaku Town." I muttered, double checking the report. Satisfied I was heading in the right direction. As I neared the town, I began to have the same dark feeling I had during the Chunin Exams. As I rounded the bend to the town, I tensed as I heard screaming. Running towards the source, my eyes widened in suprise.

Smoke surrounded the village and the villagers ran in panic. A man ran past me and, as fast as lightning, I grabbed his arm and whirled him around to face me. "What's going on?" I demanded and he looked at my standard ANBU uniform. "You must be a ninja," he gasped. "Please help, a giant snake---it attacked----out of nowhere." His breath was coming out in irregular pants, his eyes wild with panic. Tightining my grip on his arm, he looked at me. "Calm down. What snake? What's on fire?" He shook his head. "A building collapsed. A giant purple snake." He babbled and ran as soon as I let go of his arm.

Weaving through the panicing villagers, I followed the source of the smoke. A sudden feeling of desperation overwelhmed me, and I closed my eyes. An image of Naruto popped into my head and my eyes shot open in panic. Calming myself, I continued analyzing the situating. Making my decision, I closed my eyes again and concentrated on Naruto. Disappearing without a sound, only one warning was evident. Naruto needed help.