Chapter Fourteen.

Author's Note: New chapter, guys. Longest one yet! Hope ya'll like it! :D Remember to vote as this story is in the Watty Awards. :3

*******

Chapter Fourteen.
Kyle's Point of View.

I grinned at Sophie, leaning back against one of the gate posts as we waited for Madeline seeing as we were going to be giving her a lift home. Speaking of Madeline, where was she? I told her to meet me at the school gates, and she still wasn't here even though it was ten minutes since the last bell of the day had rung. I pressed my head back against the metal of the gate post, staring up at the sky whilst I pursed my lips. My head snapped back to the school grounds as a scream cut through my thoughts. My blood began to boil with anger as I saw the sight before me.

Jenny had one of her hands tangled into Madeline's hair, fingers wrapped tightly around those silky strands, and I could tell from here that she was pulling on it roughly. Seeing my enraged expression, Sophie also looked in the direction that I was glaring in. Her jaw dropped, almost reaching the floor. I paid no attention to my sister, keeping my eyes on Madeline and Jenny. Why didn't she do something? Why didn't she fight back? She shouldn't just let Jenny hurt her. For the life of me I couldn't understand why she would just stand and let this happen to her. My heart went out to her, and before I knew it my feet were moving at lightening speed, carrying me in Madeline's direction.

When I saw Jenny push her to the ground, I saw red, sparks dancing in my vision. Reaching them, my hand curled around Madeline's bicep, pulling her up from the ground and toward me. She struggled in my grasp, trying to slap me away with her free hand as her body shook with sobs. She was clearly panicking, her eyes wild and untamed. I held on tighter to her arm, raising my voice above her cries.

"Madeline! Madeline, it's me."

I knew the moment that she realised that it was me when she stopped struggling, recognition seeping into her eyes. Her cheeks were shiny and red with tears, her eyes bigger than normal as the clear crystals rolled from them in an uncontrollable stream. I wrapped my arm possessively around her narrow shoulders, tugging her closer. She relaxed against me, shoulders drooping slightly in defeat. I whipped my head in Jenny's direction, practically shaking with rage.

"You stay the hell away from her!"

My voice came out as a menacing growl, and I was surprised by how aggressive I sounded. However, my main priority right now was to keep Madeline safe. I could feel her trembling beside me, so I tightened my arm around her. I had always known that Jenny was a bitch, but I hadn't pegged her for a bully too. What I couldn't understand was why Jenny seemed to hate Madeline so much. Had Madeline actually done something to annoy her, or had Jenny just taken a particular dislike to the other girl? My bet was on the latter.

"But Kyle, baby."

Her voice was annoyingly sweet- too sweet. The kind of sweet that makes you want to throw up. I had to stop myself from making gagging noises. Rolling my eyes, I shook my head at her stupidity.

"Do you hear yourself right now? I'm not your baby!"

I snapped, my own body beginning to shake with barely contained anger. Jenny's lips pressed together and pushed out into a pout as she set her hands on her hips.

"But-"

I didn't hesitate to cut her off.

 "I don't want to hear it! Just stay away from Madeline."

Keeping Madeline tucked safely against me, I began to lead her toward the gates. All of the mingling students parted, their whispers fading into silence as we walked through the path that they had formed for us.