Chapter 12

(Camila’s pov)

I hear voices but can’t understand what is said. There are blurred images of faces peering down at me and moving away then darkness comes again. Consciousness fades in and out. I can’t tell if I am dreaming or not. One moment I am in a car on my way to the beach, next moment I’m in a room filled with strange noises. The next I feel my body being moved around on a bed and the blurred images and voices are back.

After a while things become clearer and I am a little bit more aware during these periods of consciousness. I am in hospital bed with something wrapped around my neck that prevented me from moving it. My hands are too heavy to be moved. The bed has rails surrounding it to keep me from falling out. I see a nurse come in and tried to talk to her. When that happened the noises increased. I heard someone say “she’s awake” and then others came running in. A doctor asked me if I knew my name.

 I knew my first name and after some effort I recalled my last name. Then I was left alone and laid there trying to comprehend what was going on. Where was I? How did I get here? What was wrong with me? Why can’t I move? I knew I was in a hospital but that was it. A nurse came back into the room to check my I.V.’s. I tried to move but let out a loud scream when a sharp pain shot through my skull. The nurse shot me a sympathetic look before calling a doctor.

A man fully dressed in white entered my room. He started questioning me again –I felt like I was in some sort of interrogation room- I couldn’t answer, the pain excruciating. “Give her something that will help her sleep, she can’t answer us like this” was the last thing I could make out before I lost my consciousness again.

I could feel myself slowly regaining my consciousness again, it felt like a huge weight was lifted off of my body, my arms didn’t feel heavy anymore and I was actually able to move them this time. My eyes slowly started to flutter open but a bright white light was shining down on me making it impossible to open my eyes at once. ‘Camila?’ I heard a low broken whisper, I recognized it but couldn’t match it with a face. ‘I’m going to get a doctor’ another voice said. I was kind of glad that this time I recognized the voices instead of all the noise she heard earlier. After some time I heard a lot of moving and a lot of conversations were going on but my brain couldn’t progress what they were saying. ‘Please wait outside’ a deep manly voice spoke.

I brought up her hands to rub my eyes and her vision became clear, ‘Please answer these questions’ The man said with a smile and I nodded.

 ‘Could you tell me your name?’

‘C-Camila’

My  voice was hoarse due to the lack of use.

‘full name please’

‘Karla Camila Cabello’

 ‘date of birth’

‘March third, 1997’

A smile spread on the man’s face.

‘Could you please tell me what you remember?’

Some of my memories began to return.

They weren’t good, a confusing patchwork of bits and pieces that I couldn’t put together. Not all of them seemed to be pleasant. There was an intense sadness attached to some of them along with desperation but they were blurry. I knew that I had been on my way to the beach, it’s was the first day of summer break. I remembered singing in the car with four other figures. I remembered a woman.. a woman and a man, smiling at us, I remembered a shriek followed by gasps and car horns. I remembered muffled cries and voices calling for help, the smell of gasoline and flames, cries and ear piercing screams, until a loud bang and a wave of bright red turned everything black