Chapter 11

"Unfortunately," Sanjuurou said at the front of the cafeteria, standing up and addressing the students after the day's eclipse. "There was one causality. Tomorrow is the only day left for 'kingdom'. It's up to Ono, Otaka, and Rokudou."

The room cheered, exclaiming about how great it was that all the areas were cleared in a day. They turned to Rokudou's group, smiling at them.

"We're counting on you," they said, silently giving them pressure.

Rokudou paled.

Misaki stood up, slipping out of the cafeteria and to the Nurse's. When she got there, she slipped past the dividers, reaching the last one.

"Excuse me," she murmured, stepping back and coming face to face Uruma.

He was wearing a hospital gown, covering his wound. He looked up from his book, face looking healthier than when they first got back from their eclipse.

"Kanade girl," he said in greeting.

Misaki grimaced to herself, long given up correcting him. "... at least you look better."

He raised an eyebrow. "You were worried about someone other than useless Hinata? What a surprise."

She gritted her teeth, forcing herself to control her anger. "I didn't want anything to weigh on my conscience. And now that I see that you're alright..."

She made a move to leave.

"See you tomorrow again, Kanade."

She ignored his parting remark, leaving the infirmary and bumping into Sanjuurou along the way.

"Oh, Misaki? You were visiting Uruma as well?"

She nodded. "No matter how much I dislike him... he was injured because of me."

She was about to leave when Sanjuurou called after her.

"Was what you said before the eclipse true?"

Her face flushed as she remembered what she said – yes. A simple but plain as day admittance about her feelings for him.

When she remained silent, Sanjuurou chuckled. "I knew you were joking. You were just carrying on my joke, eh? You're a good sport –"

"No," Misaki said, turning back to look at him straight in the eyes. "I meant what I said."

He blinked at her. Her cheeks turned redder.

Then his eyes softened, a small smile spreading across his lips. "... thank you, Mi-chan."

"..." (She was sure that she was trembling and that her face was crimson.)

"Now, if you'll excuse me," Sanjuurou said, making a beeline for Uruma's bed. "I have a score to settle."

Misaki was left in the hallway, running over his words in her head. She covered her mouth with the back of her hand. 'What does thank you even mean?! H-How despicable...!'

* * *

The next day, the eclipse sent everyone back to their respective areas. Misaki glanced around nervously, tense and ready to strike.

"There's nobody else that will try to kill us," Uruma said from where he sat. "We get to enjoy the show."

A screen was in front of him. Misaki walked over to him, leaning against the remains, arms crossed her chest. They began to watch the happenings of the Tower area and Rokudou's group.

Just as Rokudou's group readied themselves to fight, the screen suddenly flickered off. Misaki made a noise of surprise, and Uruma only scoffed.

"... so it seems that it happened."