Chapter 6

The next day, the group crouched along the walls near the office. Upon Sekia's departure, Rokudou quickly raised his hand, his kanji flashing. The light subsided, revealing Rokudou who changed into Sekia.

"It's perfect," Aira said, smiling.

Just according to plan, Rokudou managed to get Hakua away. After leaving Hakamada and Eko to guard the door, the remaining five walked ahead until they found the key Rokudou left on the floor.

"Alright, let's get going," Sanjuurou declared, the key in his palm.

"... Is that you, Hakua?" a voice called as they walked in.

A man with pale hair and dressed in robes seated in front of a screen showing school footage turned, eyeing them. "Is it that time of the year already? It's the usual type of discussion, I presume. You may begin."

Sanjuurou walked ahead, nodding. "Pleased to make your acquaintance, Chairman."

"Get to your point," Yama said, turning back to his monitors.

"The opening ceremony," Sanjuurou began. "You don't usually greet students. But you did this year. And you said that you waited a long time for this day. Did you know that something would happen this year?"

Misaki eyed the man as he and Sanjuurou talked. She thought of him being the one orchestrating all the deaths in school, thinking back to the lives of those around her lost, and the bloodshed in the school routinely. She crossed her arms.

Yama began sliding his screen around, yawning. "... What did you say, hm?"

Sanjuurou closed his eyes, face darkening as he crossed his arms, repeating his questions.

"I felt like it," Yama said offhandedly. "I didn't give greetings the other years because I felt like it. I gave greetings this year because I felt like it. I said what I said because I felt like it."

"And you killed so many students," Misaki suddenly said, unable to take it. "Because you felt like it."

"Misaki-chan," Noa said to her under her breath. "Calm down."

Sanjuurou tensed, ready to attack if Yama did anything.

"Yes," Yama simply said. "That's it. Next?"

Sanjuurou's eye twitched. "You didn't attend the meeting in May. Why?"

"I was sleeping. I felt like it. Now, I feel like doing it again. Please get out."

"You –"

"Miso, we were just supposed to greet him," Mino mumbled, tapping Sanjuurou's shoulder. "Come on, let's go."

"Wait," Yama said just as we were leaving. "I remember. You are Hourai's brother, yes? You seem intelligent – as expected of you siblings."

Misaki felt alarm bells ringing. The way he spoke... it reminded her of when people began to put her down in favour of Mikio.

She tugged Sanjuurou's arm. "Come on, don't listen to him –"

"But that's the only thing you have in common," Yama sighed. "Your sister is far superior to you."

Sanjuurou's head lowered and his expression darkened once more. Yama continued speaking, saying how his sister never brought him up in her conversations and how he could tell the reason why.

"It must be a headache to have such a useless brother. Next time," he smirked. "Bring me something worth my time, alright?"

"Sanjuurou," Noa called, pulling his other arm and attempting to drag him away. "Let's go."