Chapter 15

Jake looked down at his phone. Braelyn was calling. He wasn't sure if he wanted to answer, but he was curious about what she was going to say. They still hadn't talked about that night yet, and Jake wasn't sure how she'd felt about the whole thing.

"Hello?" He finally picked up.

"Hey." Something was weird in her voice.

"What's up?" Jake knew he sounded overly concerned, but he couldn't help it.

"Come outside?"

Jake looked out guys window. There she was, sitting on the front of her yellow bug, waiting for him.

As quickly as he could, Jake pulled on his shoes and met her outside.

"Hey, what's going on?" Jake asked, leaning against the bumper of his truck, which she had parked behind.

She began to chew her bottom lip, a huge sign something was up with her.

"So-" she started slowly. "I, uh, talked to Heather today."

Jake looked at her. "Oh."

"Oh?" She repeated. "That's it?"

Jake took in a deep breath, trying to find the right words. "What all did she say?"

He really wanted to ask her whether or not she told her what had told Heather what happened in the bathroom. Secretly  he wanted her to. Then all of this would be easier. He could finally be done with everything.

"What are we doing here?" Braelyn blurted as if she'd had to gather all her courage to ask it.

Jake rose an eyebrow. "You asked me to-"

"No-" Braelyn sighed impatiently, getting off of her car to meet him toe-to-toe. "I mean what are we doing here." She motioned between the two of them. "With this. Us. What's going on here? Are you trying to play me?"

Jake blinked. "What?"

Braelyn slanted eyes. "Are you trying to play me, Jake? Huh? Heather told me about the others."

"What others?" Jake asked desperately.

"The other girls you've talked to since you've be with Heather. She told me how they come after you, and how you treat her."

"How do I treat Heather?" Jake felt his pressure rising.

"Like she isn't good enough for you. And she's sweet, and she tries to do everything for you, and just-"

"Just what?" Jake began to invade her personal space. Braelyn started to backpedal. "Huh?"

She opened her mouth to answer, but closed it when nothing came out.

"No, no," Jake didn't back off. "Go ahead. Go on, keep telling me how much you know about my relationship. One you've known about for a few months? Come on, Dr.Phil. What's your prognosis? Or should I say Heather's?"

"Why is it so hard for you to leave her if you don't want to be with her? Huh?  Why do you stay, when you know that this will continue to happen?"  Braelyn felt her voice rising, but she couldn't stop herself.  "This is bullshit."

"How is this bullshit?"  He rebuddled, matching her anger.  "This isn't your decision, and it's not as easy as you think it is."

"Then why the fuck did you kiss me!?"  she shouted.  "Why did you become my friend?  Why did you care whether or not I had feelings for Duke?  Why would you make me think that you wanted me too?  Because I know that you knew how I felt about you.  And you liked it.  You enjoyed having someone give you the attention, didn't you?"