Chapter 7

To describe Duke's house as huge would be and understatement. Humungous? Gigantic? Gargantuan? Big as shit? Yes, all of those combined might just do it.

He lived in the biggest house in Glenville, which meant he lived in the biggest house in the entire town. His dad had been mayor since before Braelyn was born, which meant he was more like king than mayor.

"Come in." Duke answered the door with a Charming smile plastered on his face. Braelyn suppressed the need to return the smile, and instead greeted him with sarcasm.

"What a modest place to live." She spoke, stepping into the mansion. She'd felt so poor when she parked her beat up bug behind the three trucks and very expensive Audi which were parked in the garage.

Duke closed the door behind her as she came in. "You know, if you're going to start the evening off with that attitude, you're only setting this relationship up for failure." He flashed that brilliant smile again, before leading her through the massive entrance and into the living room.

Braelyn sat her stuff down on the couch in front of the screen hanging from the wall. "Alright, let's get to it."

"What are you doing?" Duke asked, a smile toying with the corners of his mouth.

"Standing here? Waiting for you to put the movie in." Braelyn replied, putting her hands on her hips.

"We aren't watching it down here," he said, then turned, heading for the staircase.

Braelyn huffed, grabbing her stuff and began following him.

"I'm surprised you didn't have something rebellious to say." He called to her as they went up the stairs.

"Yea, well, I'm trying to be nice," Braelyn replied. "The nicer I am to you, the better we work together. The better we work together, the quicker we get done. The quicker we get done-"

"-the faster we can get to the kissing." Duke interrupted. He stopped at the door nearest the top of the stairs. "We're here."

"Alright, let's go." She sighed heavily.

Duke, ignoring her discontent, opened the door and stepped in, Braelyn following him.

He turned to see a shocked look on her face. "Welcome to my room."

______________________________________

Braelyn had known that Duke would have a ridiculously nice room when she'd found out he lived in Glenville. She'd never been to Glenville, but she'd known that the houses were larger. Especially the Mayor's house. So she'd made the smart assumption that Duke woud have a nice room.

What she hadn't done, however, was prepared herself for just how nice it would be.

It was huge, like she'd expected, but she had underestimated just how much stuff he'd have. Against the wall opposite his king-sized bed was a huge flat paneled TV, much bigger than the one downstairs. Under the TV was a library of DVDs, probably the biggest collection she'd ever seen.

"I thought you said your mom was the movie buff?"

"You want some popcorn?" He asked, obviously ignoring her question. Braelyn decided not to push it.

"Sure."

Duke went over to the other side of his bed where Braelyn hadn't looked yet. She almost gasped.

"You have a popcorn machine in your room?"

Duke shrugged. "I like popcorn."

Braelyn's eyes wandered to the wall beside his bed. On it was a glass casing filled with an assortment of movie candies.