Chapter 13

Jake parked his truck in the student parking lot. He didn't get out immediately. School was the furthest thing from his mind right now. Had been all weekend.

The entire weekend had gone by, and still no word from Braelyn. Not a text, or a call. Nothing. He wasn't the type of guy to worry about any girl, not even Heather.

But ever since he'd kissed Braelyn, he couldn't get her off his mind. He needed to find out what she was thinking. How she felt about what had happened in the bathroom that night. How she felt about him.

Jake spotted her tiny bug as it entered the parking lot. She parked in the empty space in front of his, but she hadn't seemed to notice him. She was too busy blaring "Gold on the Ceiling" by The Black Keys.

Her hair had been growing out, he'd noticed. Today, she wore it in natural curls. Jake only got a full view of her when she got out of her car. She wore a black cardigan over an NWA tank top which was tucked into her high-waisted skinnys.

Jake didn't make it past her legs, however, as his eyes were fixated on her ass.

His mind flickered back to that night. His hands had been all over her body, and he'd loved it. She'd felt so right against him. Perfect. Not like Heather. The touches were so different.

That night, he'd gone home with Heather, and immediately, she'd started ripping off their clothes. He hadn't wanted to have sex with her, but when she'd asked him what was wrong, he hadn't been able to answer. So, he'd fucked her. Fucked her brains out. She'd been so tired, they'd slept on the living room floor.

But Jake hadn't been tired. Not in the least. He'd laid there that night, unsatisfied, and wide awake. He looked at Heather as she slept in all her naked glory. She was so beautiful. Slim figure. Long brown hair that trailed down her back. Gorgeous face.

But, she wasn't enough. No matter how hard he looked at her, he wasn't getting the feeling he used to get when he watched her sleep so many times before. Something was different. He didn't feel it for her anymore. Every time he'd tried, his mind would wonder to Braelyn. How he'd pinned her body against his. Kissed her soft lips. Felt her heat. That was what he wanted. She was what he wanted.

"What the fuck are you doing?"

Jake snapped his head to see Duke outside of his truck. Slowly, he got out.

"I'm pretty sure stalking is still illegal. Even in Shit Stain, Mississippi."His bestfriend spoke as they headed toward the school.

Jake also hadn't talked to Duke since the party. "Look, man-""

"You know what Amanda tried to do?" Duke interrupted, calling his mother by her first name. He often did that. "She tried to fucking ground me."

"Well, she is your mom." Jake always tried to be the voice of reason when it came to Duke and his mom. Jake had both his parents. Duke had his did, not often, but sometimes.

"Since when?" Duke grumbled bitterly, and Jake knew better than to try and talk to Duke about his mom when he was like that, so he just changed the subject.

"Man, about your party,-"

"Yea, it was pretty dope, huh?" Duke interrupted again as they entered the crowded school. The bell for First block had just rang, and kids were scurrying off to class.

"Man," Jake pushed the issue. "I wanted to talk to you about Braelyn. I just-"

"Jake!" Heather called his name as she approached the two. She sneered at Duke.

"What, bitch?" He barked at her. "Man, whatever. It's cool, I get it. First dibs and all that shit." He told Jake as he began to walk away. "I'll catch you later!"

Heather took his hand and kissed him on his cheek. "What was that about?"

Jake struggled, never taking his eyes off his best friend as he walked into the crowd.

"Nothing, babe. Just, finding out who's turn it is to get the smoke."

________________________________________________________________

Heather could tell when Jake was lying. He was a horrible liar. 'finding out whose turn it was to get the smoke'? Really? That was the best he could come up with?

Still. He'd lied to her. And it had something to do with Duke. Jake hadn't talked to, or about Duke all weekend. He'd been acting strangely. Ever since that party....

Heather moved closely behind Jake, making sure to stay close to him in the crowd.

There was something going on. Something had happened at the party. Something more than them getting arrested. Something...

Just then, Braelyn past by, and Jake smiled at her. She smiled back, until she looked at Heather. Then, the smile was gone instantly, and her gaze shifted to the floor.

'Son of bitch'.....

_______________________________________________________

Braelyn walked briskly by Heather and Jake. She had been happy to see that Jake was glad to see her, but when she'd seen Heather, suddenly it made her feel.... Guilty?

'And you should. Homewrecker.'

But honestly, a part of her didn't feel bad about it. She didn't regret it. She wanted to do it again. She wanted to do more...

'Homewrecker'

But Jake couldn't be too happy at his home if he was going to other places for affection, right? Heather must've not been treating him right if he needed to go to somewhere else to get something.... Right?

Braelyn had been always this all weekend. Rationalizing. Analyzing. She was trying to find reasons and logics in at all, and she'd still come up with nothing.

The only way she'd get anything would be for her to talk to Jake. Ask him about it. Get his opinion on the subject.

But she hadn't been able to bring herself to text him all weekend.

What if he didn't want to talk about what had happened? What if he just wanted to forget the whole thing even happened?

'You're overanalyzing'

Braelyn sighed, honestly getting a headache from it all. But just as Jake left her mind, Duke entered it. As did a sickening feeling in the pit of her stomach. She'd actually been dreading English class all weekend. She couldn't deal with Duke. She wasn't sure what she should say to him. If she should say anything to him.

She didn't owe him any apologies. They weren't even a thing. And he'd been in his room with that naked slut. So, he should be the one who should apologize, right? The one who should be overanalyzing, and worrying. Right?

Yet, she still had a shitty feeling deep inside of her. She felt so sick. Like she would puke at any moment.

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»

Hey y'all! So, this chapter was a reflective one. It's a tad bit short, but really, how much reflection should someone have? Anyways, comments, concerns, criticisms? I also didn't do a Duke reflection on purpose, because I wanted to see what y'all think. What do y'all think he's going to do? Back off, or keep pursuing Braelyn? What should he do? And it looks like Heather might be piecing some things together. What do y'all think she's planning? Let me know what you guys think! Also, I feel like I don't thank you guys enough!! Y'all are awesome. Thank you for all the votes and comments, I really appreciate them! Until next time!(: XOXOXO