Video Games and Sexism

I rolled it to the right, rapidly punching that button until fingers began to cramp, leaned forward, eyes zoned in on the target at hand. I switched to my knife, expertly slicing the enemy, his blood all over my hands. Suddenly, the screen changed settings and we were back at the beginning, and he jumped up, dancing to an imaginary beat.

“I win, you lose!”

I grumbled, crossing my arms over my chest. “You’re mean. You have more experience.”

Nick ran a hand through his thick black hair, flexing his arms in superhero poses. I playfully smacked his leg, tossing my Xbox controller onto the lounge and standing up.

“You can’t pull off being superior to me.”

Nick ruffled my hair with a smug smile, grabbed the packet of Freddos and turned the screen off. He handed me one, ripping open his own in the process and shoving it into his mouth. I popped mine into my mouth and savoured the chocolaty goodness. It was not my fault I had a sweet tooth although I could see where it all went: straight to my thighs. Oh, and my stomach hence why I had all this pudginess; not that I minded it. It just made me soft to hug.

“Not everyone’s good at Assassin’s Creed, Eva,” Nick said.

I pouted, feigning the waterworks. “But I want to be a ninja.”

“Aw.” Nick patted my head. “You’ll get there someday and then you’ll be able to fight,” – there was a dramatic pause as he looked off into the corner of the living room – “the master.”

My eyebrows shot up. “And this is you?” I asked, incredulity coating my words.

Nick grinned down at me. “Oh yeah,”

I smirked, not buying it at all. “Uh-huh.” I said with a nod of my head, my tongue stroking my teeth for any spare lumps of chocolate.

“It is very true, Eva. I am the master!” Cue flexing of the guns again.

“Yeah, yeah, I believe you.” I dismissed, waving my hand at him. “I just suck at video games.”

“Because you’re a girl.”

“Hey!” I jabbed a short finger at him. “Don’t be sexist, boy.”

Hands went up in surrender. “Sorry, Your Majesty,” he said, bowing down, acting as though I were the queen. I rolled my eyes, forcing him back to his feet. My eyes caught the time on my wrist watch and they popped out. If that was really the time then – I was so late.

“Sorry, Nick, Mum is going to kill me if I’m not home on time.” I said in the midst of running around his house with my bag in hand, taking everything that belonged to me. I avoided knocking over any of the Greek china and antiques, fearing his parents would yell at me for accidentally shattering the vase that held Nick’s great grandmother. I’d done it before and I was really not going to do it again. But seriously, I thought the old woman was better off six feet underground rather than on the mantle of her son’s fireplace and in an antique Greek jar; which was why I was never going to be cremated. I was sticking to the casket, thank you.

“Okay.” Nick was packing away the Xbox when I turned to look at him.

I zipped my black bag shut and stepped forward to hug Nick. He put his arms around me and kissed the top of my head. It wasn’t anything romantic, merely a gesture between friends. He’d started doing that since I’d kissed his cheek after he’d saved me from bullies in year five. He’d been my hero ever since.

“Thanks for letting me come over, Nick.” I said with a smile. “It gave me a break from study for HSC.” My study sessions had been intense lately, especially with Dad watching over m shoulder during half of it. I knew he wanted me to do well, but staring at me whilst I was studying was a definite distraction – which was why I’d kick him out in the most loving way I could.