A Friend Date

“I seriously hate you right now.”

“You only just got to know me,” he complained, throwing his hands in the air.

“And look where that put me!” I threw my hands in the air just like he did, growling, resembling a tiger. Sam backed away from me slightly. He should be scared all right. I was in the hospital, waiting for someone to treat my poor arm. Fortunately my fingers weren’t sliced off by Sam's skates. Thank God. I had a feeling I’d fractured it.

“At least your fingers are still intact.” Sam tried to joke – a harmless attempt because he was on the opposite side of the room. I shot him a deadly glare and he cowered back. His hair was damp from the ice I’d thrown at him at the rink and his nose was pink. His lips were turned down, eyes devoid of any positive emotion aside from guilt. It manifested my own guilt for making him feel that way. Maybe if I turned my head in the reverse direction, closed my eyes and imagined a tune in my head, maybe I wouldn't feel so bad at snapping at him.

I see trees of green, red roses too. I see them bloom, for me and you. And– yeah, that was going to fail.  

“It’s okay, Sam.” I said, hoping I’d be able to raise his spirits for hurting me. “It’s not like I'm going to die.”

He cracked a small smile, meeting my eyes. I pulled a ridiculous face, one that always got little kids squealing with giggles. I never knew Sam snorted until I saw him clutching his stomach with silent laughter. I narrowed my eyes, attempting to contain my own glee. I had to admit it was funny watching him laugh. And, thankfully, I wasn’t that irritated anymore.

The doctor called us in and it turned out I’d fractured my wrist. Sam gave me a sad look as the doctor watched me try to inhale properly. I was having trouble with my respiratory system because I was going to be in so much trouble! Hyperventilation attacked my lungs like a disease. I would have to wear a sling for a few weeks, and then go to the physiotherapist for a couple.

When the doctor furrowed her thin eyebrows at us and asked how I’d done it, I groaned inwardly.

 “Look! I can do it!” I giggled. The rink wasn’t as crowded as I thought it would be, therefore there was so much more room to move and freely do what we wanted. The latest pop songs played lightly through speakers surrounding the rink. Sam came up behind me and poked my waist. I flinched and almost fell over. I protected my sides with my hands, mock-glaring at him. Sam grinned cheekily then sped away, leaving me trying to catch up with my short legs.

“You'll never catch me!” Sam laughed at my speed, drawing in a lot of attention from the little innocent children around us.

I didn’t remember much of what happen next. I was chasing after him, he turned around at the last minute and before I knew it, I was on the ice clutching my wrist and stabbing the ice with my skates. Sam helped me up, apologizing half a million times before we’d reached the hospital.

“And that is how we ended up here in the hospital with me almost ready to kill Sam with a machete.” I concluded.

“You want to kill me?” Sam squeaked, trying his hardest to lean as far away from me as possible. For a boy, he sure did scare easily.

“Well, look what you did to me!” I gestured to my wrist in a dramatic manner. “You cost me too much money, man.”

The doctor's blue eyes brightened with mirth, chuckling at our story. “So was this a first date kind of thing?”

Wait, what?

The hot flush raced to my cheeks and I saw it had happened to Sam also, both of us smattering out gibberish to explain that it wasn’t what she thought it was.