Hide and Seek

“But Mama–”

“Don’t you ‘Mama’ me!”

“Pleeeeease?”

Mum rolled her eyes at me. She marched about in the kitchen, dusting the white flour from her apron. She’d just finished making brownies and I really wanted some.

Why would she torture me like this for?

I’d also asked her if I could have some friends over. She’s always been a stubborn woman; a very pretty woman as well. I knew this from the looks many of the guys at school gave my mum. I’d have to push her into the car and drive off as fast as I can without smashing into a pole. I didn’t blame them though. She was still in shape, a size ten in most clothing, and had the most gorgeous blue eyes they’d ever laid eyes on. She had this twirl of chestnut hair running down her back, and sometimes her hair would be all wild and wavy. I knew why Dad fell in love with her though and it was not just because of her looks. She was so kind-hearted and giving.

Except for today; she wasn’t exactly being all ‘kind-hearted and giving’ to me right now.

She must be PMSing.

That was okay. I acted like her during that time of the month too. 

Mum piled the brownies onto a metal platter as I watched forlornly. She eventually saw me ogling her cooking and sighed, shoving one in my direction. “Only one,” she said. “I need to save some for those friends you’re having over for dinner. Emily can stay the night too.”

Yeah, okay, she loved me.

Emily squealed into the phone when I told her she could stay the night. She told me of her plans to dress me up and paint my nails and do my hair.

Why did I invite her again?

Right, she’s my best friend. I kept forgetting that.

I internally groaned when I heard she was going to bring Hayden along. I gave myself a face palm for being idiotic enough to believe she would come alone. She was latched onto the guy like a clinging octopus. Nick told me he’d be over in a flash after I confirmed he could come. I bet he had a little crush on my mum. And finally, I told Sam he was able to come over.

“Do I need to bring anything?” he asked.

“Nope, just some clothing on your body and your butt.”

Sam chuckled. “You like my butt.” Oh, so he was being cheeky today. I could swear that over the phone, he was a whole lot more mischievous than in person. It must be the barrier of the phone; he couldn’t see my face and stumble of his words as easily. I kind of liked it.  

“You bet I do,” I said, playing along with it. “Now c’mon over before I tell your mum to escort you here.”

A short pause fell before he spoke again. “That was low and you know it.”

Ready to burst into giggles, I told him my address and my home phone number in case he got lost and I couldn’t answer my phone.

“No stalking me afterwards, okay?” I pretended to scold.

I could already see him raising his hands up in surrender. “I wouldn’t dream of it.”

Soon after, I heard loud knocks from the front door being bashed on. Not my fault I was in the middle of shoving on some skinny jeans. Also, it could only be Emily. She was such an impatient woman. I opened the door and welcomed a pack of people into the house. Emily dumped her bag on the living room floor and tackled me into a hug without saying a word. All I heard was ‘Eeeeeeeeeppp’. I hated her squeals. They were so high pitched and always on the verge of bursting my ear drums.