A Boy Named Sam

It exploded before my eyes.

The computer deserved a kick in the butt.  

How hard was it to save a file? Press save and it should save! But no, it didn’t like me. It had to go delete itself. Two hours worth of study notes gone!

I threw myself onto my bed and screamed into my pillow.

Why, why, why, why, why?

Calm down. Breathe.

Once I was feeling slightly better, I lay down and took a moment to think.     

Was this what they meant everything happens for a reason? Was there a reason behind me losing my work on this stupid piece of technology?  

This was a philosophy I’d chosen to believe in. It seemed logical enough at the time, but now, I didn’t think so. All my work!

With a grunt, I launched my body off the bed and to the window, hoping the view would give me something to appreciate what I usually took for granted. I lived in a lovely area. I should be spending more time outside.

It was the middle of autumn; a wonderful time of the year. The leaves were transforming into warm shades of red, orange and yellow, gracefully falling from the branches of semi-naked trees. As I gazed out the window, I saw the park down the road, the one I grew up as a child in.

Come to think of it, I hadn’t been down there in a while.

I can go for a run! I realised.

The moment after I had shorts and a singlet on, I seriously considered what I was about to do.   

What was I thinking? I couldn’t run to save my life.

But I was giving it a try.

It was a good day: clear sky, light breeze and the hot sun on my back. After five minutes, sweat had accumulated on my brow and poured down the sides of my face. My breathing grew laborious and wheezy, the balls of my feet aching.

I definitely didn’t enjoy my lack of fitness.

I caught sight of a woman running just ahead of me. Her blonde ponytail swayed side to side with her running rhythm. I narrowed my eyes and my determination sparked a challenge for myself.

I had to catch up and run in time with her, no matter how painful it was.

My feet carried me forward, each step a new throb of pain on top of the other. I was catching up fast, my arms swinging back and forth in time with my legs. The determination grew within me as I lost speed. No, I couldn’t give up. I had to keep going. Sweat was streaking down my face like Niagara Falls, the sun angled at my left cheek. My arms were tired from all the swinging, and my heart was pounding so hard I was scared it would break open my ribs.

Just two more steps.

My body flew in time with the woman’s, and I smiled to myself, relaxing a little.

I did it.  

I managed a sweet smile to the woman, who returned it with one of her own. An iPod was in her ears, keeping her silent. I took a quick second to make an observation of her. A twinge of jealousy tugged at my chest. There was no sweat on her person at all! It was like she was a machine – and an older one too! I fought the urge to grumble.

Why did old people have to be better than me?

We ran together for a minute and at a fork in the path, we separated, giving each other a polite wave as we did so. I had entered a peaceful and shaded part of the park with a green field for ball games and picnics. I rounded a corner, my eyes glued to the old pavement, counting each step. My ears picked up on a strange, hollow sound.