Chapter Six-The Championship

"LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, LET ME SAY THAT YOU'LL ARE SUPPORTERS OF THE GALVESTON TEXAS RODEO. AND THERE'S THE BEST STEAK, GARLIC PRAWNS, AND GRAVY...AS WELL AS TOMATO SAUCE...FOR THOSE COUPLES WHO ATE LATE...

..."THERE'S PLENTY OF SEATS...PLEASE KEEP CARE OF THE YARD WHEN EACH RODEO RIDER RIDES HIS OR HER BULL. OUR SECURITY MEN AND SECURITY WOMEN ARE HERE TO MAKE SURE Y'ALL ARE SAFE...AND OUR STAFF WILL PROTECT Y'ALL, TOO...

..."NOW, LET THE RODEO BEGIN!", Mack yelled excitedly into his silver colored microphone...as everyone cheered.

***

The first Cowboy was Chad Roebert Junior, 19. He rode Big Tom. The Bull was huge. It snorted angrily. Chad burst out of the barrier.

And, as he held onto his dark brown colored hat, his silver colored spurs clicked around his ankles; his Lariat, (ropes), was in his hands...as he was determined to stay on his Bull for a long time. Five seconds passed before he crashed to the musty ground...and his dreams of being a Rodeo champion ended for another year.

***

"GIVE IT UP FOR CHAD! BETTER LUCK NEXT TIME!". Chad left the barrier. He dusted himself off. Then noticed that he scored only 16 points.

He sighed.

When he saw Rod and Marjorie he shook Rod's right hand.

"The Bull beat me".

"Next time".

"Sure. I'll be back".

And he hung his head, and vowed to return in 2015.

***

Rod was next.

He rode Night.

"AND HERE IS CHAMPION ROD IVES. GIVE IT UP FOR TEXAS'S FAVORITE SON...". Mack smiled. He wasn't Texas's favorite son. But he let it slip from his mind.

He rode for seven seconds. He gripped the Lariat with his hands. The spurs clicked his ankles. His hat didn't come off his sweating head.

Marjorie watched and waited.

Rod hung on for three more seconds.

Now it was ten seconds.

Then he was forced out off Night.

And, even though he landed hard on the musty ground, he impressed the four Judges. And Mack. He got 40 points. But he knew that eight other riders were still riding. He kept focusing on Marjorie. She waved at him. He smiled...then got off the Bull. Then he left the barrier...and knew that he'd had passed done well in the Rodeo.

***

Page 7.