Chapter One-The Lowe Ranch

Tiny pieces of red dust hit the hard ground at The Lowe Ranch. The stables were out of the back; the large, yellow bales of hay surrounded the Ranch.

Marjorie Lowe walked along the front porch.

"You're going to get up early", Tim Lowe, her father, informed her. She nodded. "I have to do that unless the cows need to be milked".

"Yes. Where's Mom?", she asked.

"In the kitchen".

"I'll come inside soon".

"That's fine, Marjorie".

She saw him leave.

She wore a red  shirt, blue jeans, a black  belt, black socks, and red  boots on her feet. On her head was a tan  hat. Her silver Swiss watch was on her right hand. She hoped that the beginning of the Ranch's life would continue into the 21st century...and beyond. The Ranch, which was built in 1854, was a fortress that was used to prevent Native Indian  attacks on their land. The rich history was full of Texas power from the 19th century...and into the 20th century.

Marjorie loved the Ranch.

When she turned six, her parents moved from Alabama to Texas. The idea hadn't thrilled her. But her Father told her back in 1998: "Marjorie, you're a young girl who will be strong in Texas. Alabama is a wonderful city, but we have Texan family here. Your Grandparents live in Galveston; your Uncle and Aunt live in El Paso".

She went to Texas school.

She made friends.

And she attended the Rodeos when she reached the age of 12 in 2004. Living off the rural land was fraught with danger...but she saw cowboys ride their bulls in the competitions. Some of them fell off with several seconds; some sat on the bulls for longer.

***

The memories faded away...but never disappeared.

Marjorie opened the front door.

Estella Lowe, 46, hugged her only daughter. "It's hot outside". She glanced at the Roast Chicken that was cooking on the oven.

"I know, Mom".

"I was concerned that there wasn't a man with you". She smiled. "I haven't got time to date; I haven't got time to form friends".

"You need to get out...Meet people...Have a life!". She turned the heat down on the oven to 120 degrees.

"I am busy...".

"I'm not busy...".

"You are busy. Go to the Rodeo tomorrow at 7:00 PM. You'll be surprised what cowboys can do to a lonely women in Texas".

"Okay, Mom. But nothing's going to happen". She watched the baked potatoes, onions, carrots, green beans, and pumpkin that was cooking as well. Estella had short, greying blonde  hair, blue eyes, and petite. She wore a blue  dress, black stockings, and white  high-heeled shoes.

Marjorie wore blonde  hair, blue  eyes, and also peitite. "Since dinner is almost ready, I'll get plates, knifes, and forks. And clean napkins, too".

"Go ahead, darling", as her husband entered the house so they could eat.

***

By 6:44 PM, Marjorie ate her dinner.

"Wonderful gravy".

"Yes, I made it myself".

"Yes, best gravy in Texas".

And, as they finished their dinner, they all cleaned up in the huge kitchen.

***

After Marjorie washed the dishes, the doorbell rang.

A tall, lanky Cowboy tipped his tan hat with his right hand. Marjorie stared at the stranger as she washed her hands with a yellow towel.

She turned right, walked down the hallway, then couldn't believe a man who she hadn't met before was standing on her porch.

"Howdy Ma'am. Name is Rod".

"Marjorie.  Are you a neighbor across the road?".

"Yes, my parents were the first owners of The Ranch. They retired to Tuscon, Arizona. I see them now and again".

"Please do come inside...It's hot. Do you want something to eat and drink?".

"I'd be delighted. Your father asked me over to show him about the Rodeo". Marjorie opened the fly wire door...and let Rod walk past her.

"Dad loves the cowboys. He is a John Wayne fan".

"I'm sure all Americans are", and he laughed.

***

"Marjorie, whe...Oh, hello".

"Mom, this is Rod. He's our neighbor. He is a Rodeo star". Rod brushed his short, black  hair out of his face.

"I wouldn't say that! But my father was Rodeo champion back in 1994. Grandpa was champion in 1974. It takes a true man to ride those bulls...".

"I say so. We just ate".

"That's fine. I ate some at my brother's place down the road". His tan cowboy boots were expensive.

"Those boots would've cost you a lot of money".

"$US400".

"Well, don't ruin them when I saw you at the Rodeo".

"You go to Rodeos, Marjorie?".

"No...I mean...A woman needs to have fun". She blushed. Then her father appeared. "Howdy, Rod. Looks like you've gotten on well with my wife...and daughter".

"Yes, Sir. It's been quite awhile since I came to a neighbors' house". Rod looked at the oven.

"Smells great".

"It was great. You can have a roast dinner if you like. I have a lot of...". But Rod raised his right hand.

"I'm full. But next time, I'll be delighted to dine here".

And he walked to the Study door...and closed it behind him.

***

Marjorie was happy that the air conditioner was on.

She knew boys weren't lining up to see her when she was a teenager. Life in Texas was like that. You were either asked on a date, or you weren't asked.

Only some boys did so.

And, now, a decade later, one of the sexiest cowboys in Texas was in her house. She took time to readjust her thinking, as she concentrated on the TV in the huge lounge room. She rested her tired feet, then sat down to watch a cooking show that she loved.

***

Page 2.