Growing up

Colossians 1:10 - And we pray this in order that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and may please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God. (NIV)

1 Timothy 4:12 - Don’t let anyone think less of you because you are young. Be an example to all believers in what you say, in the way you live, in your love, your faith, and your purity. (NLT)

How many of you are finally realizing you can't be a kid forever? I just came to the sudden realization that I will be 18 years old in 27 days. This makes me want to crawl into my mom's lap and stay there for another 18 years. There comes a time in all of our lives that we must make the decision, yes it is a decision, to grow up.

I know you have most likely seen one of those people who are around 30 and still live in their parents' house without a job... This is very common in my area of the US as well as my generation. I've actually had someone tell me when I asked what they were going to do after graduation that they were staying home with their parents just so they could come to the high school football games. I mean, come on! Where I come from if you don't go to college, which many around here don't plan to, you stay stuck in that town.

I don't want that to be me. I don't want to stay in this town. Yet my peers haven't bothered to realize they shouldn't make their parents' mistakes. I fully understand not being able to go for financial reasons, I struggle with this a great deal, but it makes me so upset to see someone toss away something that could be so amazing for their futures, especially when I struggle to just get the chance to do the same. Please forgive me if this strikes a nerve, but do any of you think of this stuff? I know I am the only one in my school who seems to think this way.

Now that I have gotten y'alls attention, I want to get to the heart of the matter. I am very vocal about my opinions on this matter, and I have realized that people have started, however minimal, to listen to what I have to say. A while ago, I read the quotes above, and it hit me. I may be told that I don't know what I'm talking about because of my youth, and I have been, but God is behind me. There is an unbelievable amount of laziness in my generation. They don't think about their futures, and this affects the rest of their lives. Now I am not saying that you should go even if God says you should go another path. My intent is not telling you that college is the only way, but to think about your future.  Just think about how the decisions you make, especially right out of high school and with your new freedom, can affect what your life will be like in the future.

I guess what I am trying to say, albeit long-winded, is to speak to God about what He wants for your future. If it's college, awesome and I might see you there!  If it is taking a little time off and traveling, please send pictures! :) If you want to just go into missionary work, halleluiah! My point is, if you will just think about it, converse with God about it, and actually consider your options, you will be thankful later in life. I mean think about it... Who really wants to work at Micky D's forever? (Although I wouldn't mind eating there everyday. ^-^) 

I am sorry if this makes no sense whatsoever, and if it fired some people up, good or bad, great! That was my intent. Getting you thinking, whether you hate this or love it, is what all of us should be doing, yeah? :)

God Bless

-Ash