Chapter 1: Chasing Rumors

Now we get to meet the main character, AKA you. A brief recap of the prologue if you decided to skip it, Captain Kirkland has just found out who you are and is set on ending your winning streak. That's about it. It's 2:39 in the morning, so if there are any mistakes, it's cause I'm flipping tired, but I want to get this chapter out at the same time as the prologue. I'm American, so you are from America in this story. Just a heads up :)

vv Just in case you need it vv

(f/n) = your first name

(l/n) = your last name

(e/h/c) = your eye/hair color

(h/l) = hair length

(POV) = point of view

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Captain (l/n)'s POV)

Nowhere better to be than at sea.

You grin as the wind ruffles your hair. It's a clear day today which hopefully meant smooth sailing. Your tricorn hat is tucked securely under your arm. A brilliant, cloud free sky, sun reflecting off the deep blue water, and the stars and stripes waving proudly from the highest mast. The atmosphere is relaxed as you stand at the bow of your ship.

Also, you were going to see your father later today.

According to your calculations, you and your crew would reach Willsboro in a matter of hours. It was a decently large naval port off the coast of Delaware. Obscure as it was, it was your home and your preferred vacation spot when you were off duty.

"Captain!" you hear from behind you. You turn to see your first mate running towards you.

"What is it, Alfred?" you ask. Your best friend from childhood, Alfred F. Jones was quite a handful at times. However, he was extremely reliable and battle-tested, so you kept him on your ship. He also brought a sense of fun to the long days at sea.

"It's... complicated, man," he says, wringing his hands together. You frown. He's nervous. That's not a sight you see everyday. "A messenger hawk came aboard a short while ago. The message, well..."

"I see. Though I'm not sure why I wasn't informed of this sooner," you say, raising an eyebrow. "How is it even possible for a bird to find us out on the water?"

"I dunno. It's weird. I'm sure that the bird is a hawk, but its feathers are pitch black and blood red. Not a speck of white like other hawks I've seen."

You tense up at the description of the hawk. You remember all the stories your father told you about the black and red hawk. It was a bad omen. Alfred is still talking, so you shake your head to clear you of any dark thoughts.

"We read the message cause it wasn't addressed to anyone in particular," Alfred said quickly. "And, y'know, Gilbert thought it might've been Elizaveta, and you know how he is when he clamps onto an idea..."

"No matter. Just take the message to my chambers. I will see to it after our leave in Willsboro. No sense in getting worked up just before vacation," you say with a sigh. "And tell Gilbert that as far as I know, Elizaveta is still pining after Roderich."

With that, you smooth back your (h/l) (h/c) hair and nestle your hat on your head, eagerly watching the horizon for a glimpse of Willsboro.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Time Skip~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's been so long since you've been on leave. Your crew dispersed eagerly from The Black Heron to visit their families. Gilbert, having gotten the news that his crush was still crushing on Roderich the melomaniac, had been the first off the ship to give Roderich a piece of his mind.