...Before They Get Worse

I'M BACK, BABY!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After he returned, Allistor took you by the arm and threw you into Arthur's cabin, along with the cabin's owner. You can make out his silhouette standing guard outside the door.

"Allistor certainly isn't the soft and cuddly type brother, is he?" you say with an awkward laugh, the two of you seated on opposite sides of the room. He says nothing, choosing to blush and study the floorboards in his cabin. A favorite pastime of his, you note with no small level of amusement. His right ear is an angry red from Allistor's pulling, and his left ear is steadily rising to the same shade. There was no hiding from you. Allistor had even confiscated his ridiculous hat.

You both sit there in tense silence, wondering where to take the conversation next. You had a feeling that Arthur was as good with feelings as you were.

"We need to talk."

You blink, and he does the same. You had said that simultaneously.

"I would be remiss if I did not allow the lady to go first," Arthur said smoothly, though his gaze was still fixated on the ground.

"Wow, thanks," you say dryly. Thinking quickly, you come up with a response and steel yourself for what you're about to say.

"I miss the dynamic we had before," you say bluntly. And it was true. This awkward tension was not cutting it for you. Even if it had only lasted a day. Perhaps in a village it could have waited a bit longer, but there are limited places to hide on a ship.

Arthur nods in agreement, risking a glance up at your face. You bite your lip and wait for him to say something back.

"Miss [l/n]," he says with a sigh, standing up from his seat. "I agree. I apologize, I've never actually, um, had to do... this before, but I'll try my best."

He walks over to you and takes your right hand in both of his. His hands are calloused from captaining a ship, and you're sure yours are just as bad.

"[F/n] [l/n], as past events have proved, my affections for you are not easily ignored, and in light of that, will you do me the favor of being my closest companion, for better or for worse? I only have this ship, but I can take you around the world. I can dress and treat you like a queen, and I promise to be the best gentleman I can be... are you laughing?"

You try and cover up the giggles. Half of you was swooning at his sweet words, and the other half of you was extremely amused by his formality. Besides, you were a battle-hardened sea captain. You didn't need a fairy book romance. What you and Arthur had... the friendly banter, the mutual love of astronomy, the reciprocated feelings of... love? That was plenty.

"You are laughing," he says in dismay, mostly to himself. He starts to move his hands away before you pull them back.

"Wait, Arthur! It was really sweet, I promise!" you say between snickers. "Just... where did you get that from? Were you raised in a castle or something?"

You swore his eyes darkened for a split second before he brightened considerably, relieved you weren't laughing at him. Well, you were, but at least you hadn't turned him down.

"Yes, I suppose that was rather cheesy," he says sheepishly, rubbing his neck absentmindedly. "But effective, hopefully?"

In response, you jump up and kiss him properly on the lips.

"You tell me."

Arthur laughs, and the both of you lean in to kiss again when the door of the cabin slams open.