Chapter 14

Chapter 14

"Yeah, I arrived last night." Harry's voice had announced in my dream. In seconds I felt my dream slowly fading, I started to forget what had been happening and concentrated on his voice. I was now awake but my eyes didn't dared to open, especially at the distance of how near his voice was.

"Yeah she's sleeping."

Inside my head I could picture him standing by the window, glancing at the car park outside while listening to the mysterious voice on the other side of the line.

"Have you checked on them yet?" there was a pause, probably the other person giving him an answer.

My left arm beckoned me to scratch the area just beneath my elbow. I couldn't take it anymore, I had to scratch. Carefully, I moved my right arm.

"She's awake."

How could he tell?

My eyes opened to see Harry exactly where I had pictured him, by the large window, curtains slightly opened but not enough for light to blind my eyes. "Sorry, I woke you."

"Its fine," I cleared my throat as the words came out croaky.

"Do you like them?" he asked.

I gave him a confused look.

"The pyjamas, I mean."

I looked down at the pink material, my body was now aware of the soft silk feeling on my skin. I nodded. "Thank you."

He let out a sigh, "You've already thanked me. There is no reason for you to thank me, I owe it to you."

I shook my head, completely disagreeing, "No Harry, I do have to thank you. I can't thank you enough for doing all this for me, for letting me stay. I should be the one sleeping in the sofa, not you. I wish you'd kill me so that I don't have to feel guilty for all this."

"If I had a choice I would never kill you. But I'm sorry I don't, I'm not trained to disobey them," the first sentence was the Harry I liked, but the second frightened me, he spoke it plainly, his mind was definitely somewhere else.

"Harry, who's 'them'?" I asked after a short pause.

He frowned as his eyes found interest in anything else but me. "You know I can't tell you."

I nodded to show a sense of understanding as to why he couldn't tell me: it was just better that way for both of us.

"I made breakfast." He informed me. "It's on the counter."

"Thanks." I muttered as I stared at the cream carpet, thinking. I could feel his gaze on me, almost as if he was trying to work something out but as soon as he had found his answer he left the room without a word.

After I heard the front door slam shut. I dressed myself with the new items of clothing he bought- Harry bought me. I need to stop referring Harry as 'he', his name's Harry.

I paced to the kitchen where a plate of French toast and a glass of orange juice was.

Instead of cleaning spotless parts of the apartment again, I decided to have a lazy day and just watch some T.V. Although, I hoped Harry wouldn't be angry at me but I saw no reason why I couldn't.

I watched a few episodes of Friends before deciding to flick onto a music channel but I accidently pressed the wrong digits and on came the news, I decided to keep it on.

"Jamie Ramones the man who was recently released from prison for homicide. After spending 27 years in prison, he was discharged yesterday and today his body was found in the alleyway but his heart was missing-"

I quickly changed the channel to the next one along. I couldn't stand hearing about all those gruesome things that people do. It sickened me.

"The main staff, Lucia claimed that she left home for the day and when she came back to work the next morning, the gate was broken and police were surrounding the house. Peter Kenton is coming back home as an emergency, his 19 year old daughter, Chelsea Kenton, is reported as missing. Police suggest that the intruder only kidnapped Chelsea and took nothing."

I sat in silence, my whole anatomy trembling as my father appeared on the screen, sitting in his office.

He looked directly at the camera as he spoke, "Whoever took my daughter- please just send her back. You want a ransom? I'll give it to you but just.... Just bring her back to me. Chelsea, if you're watching this somehow, somewhere, please just tell the person that I can get them the money. If they so much as hurt you... Everything will be fine sweetie... If you want me- take me instead of her please I just want my pumpkin ba-"

The television turned black and I noticed a tall figure next to me: Harry. I hadn't even realised his presence. He looked disgusted and angry.

"H-Harry," I started to say with a croaky voice, "I changed my mind- please just take me home. I miss my father. I can't stay- I can't do this to him Harry." Tears spilled from my eyes.

"No." He simply replied.

"W-what?" I stammered not believing what he just said.

"I gave you a chance to leave, you stayed."

"But, I thought..."

"Well you thought wrong then." Harry interrupted with slight anger in his voice.

He was right. He did give me an opportunity to leave but I stupidly chose to stay. I was foolish for believing we had some sort of connection. It was obviously one-sided.

What did I feel right now?

Disappointment.

Embarrassment.

Both of those emotions were targeted towards myself.

"What do you want to do?" Harry asked. "Other than going home. I'll agree to whatever."

I was silent for a moment.

"Anything?"

"Yes Chelsea. Anything to make you feel better about today. The last thing I want is for the next few weeks, months or whatever to be really awkward so anything to clear the air between us."

I pursed my lips for a bit.

"I'll think about it Harry. But for now, the air is clear as fields," I did my best to smile.

I needed time.

"Good."

We spend a minute staring into each other's eyes. That was until his phone vibrated in his pocket. He hesitated before answering it.

"Ha-"I started to say but his hand hastily covered my mouth.

"Hello?"

I stared at the ground, to make it look like I wasn't listening but really I was like an animal listening out for its next prey.

"Good job on Ramones. Your next case is Percy Jones. You find him down in Portsmouth-"

"Ugh down south? That'll take 3 hours just to get there," Harry complained lowering his hand from my lips.

"Just get it done yeah?"

"What about...?" He trailed off as he gave me a quick glance. I avoided it as I felt like I was just a burden that kept getting in the way of things.

"Do what you did last time." The grotty voice croaked.

"I can't just keep her locked in here," Harry muttered taking a stand which surprised me, "I want to bring her with me."

A/N: Currently writing 15 :)