Chapter 16

“No!” Tom pushed me away from him. I stumbled backwards, flailing my arms to try and keep myself balanced.

“Stop!” Tom banged his fist against the wall.

“Urgh! Just…just stop,” His voice trailed off at the end, “I can’t let myself be with you, Immy.”

“Then why did you kiss me?” I asked softly.

“I can’t help myself when I’m around you…maybe it’s better if we…if we don’t see each other for a while,” He ran his fingers through his hair, not taking his eyes off the floor.

No. No. Couldn’t he see that I wanted to be with him? That I would never hurt him again?! My eyelids moistened, my eyelids fluttering rapidly to try and stop any water escaping. It was no use.

Tom heard my sniffles, muffled by the sleeve of my jumper. He looked up from the floor and stretched his arm towards my face, his fingers gently brushing away the escaping tears. His touch was soft, comforting. The touch of his fingertips soothed me, calmed me. A tingling sensation ran up my spine, forcing a smile to cross my lips.

“Hey, hey, there’s that beautiful smile,” He winked as he brushed away the few strands of her that had stuck to my face.

“I wouldn’t hurt you like that again, Tom. Ever,” I whispered.

His eyes were fixated on mine, “I know. I know why you did what you did. I just can’t let myself…”

“Can’t let yourself what?” I gulped. Our heads were so close, our lips were almost touching.

His voice came out as a hushed whisper, my ears only just picking up on his barely audible words, “Can’t let myself fall for you again.”

I jerked my head away, “What?”

He shook his head, his floppy hair covering his eyes, “Just forget I said anything!”

He adjusted his tie as he darted away down the corridor without looking back.

I stood there.

Stunned.

Astonished.

Whatever you want to call it.

The boy with the captivating smile and melting eyes had fallen for me.

And I hadn’t even known.

The familiar sound of the bell brought me back to reality and I carried on heading to my next lesson but running now.

All the while his words were playing over and over in my head.

Can’t let myself fall for you again.

I sped into the classroom and slumped down beside Robyn, panting.

I steadied my breathing with the memory of his touch caressing my face, his floppy hair, his gorgeous smile, his beautiful eyes…

“Hey, Immy!” Robyn clicked her fingers in front of my face, “You okay? I sort of lost you there!”

I snapped out of my daze, “Yeah, yeah. I’m fine, thanks.”

That’s when it hit me, like a wave of fresh air.

How could I not have realised before?

I was fine…because I, Imogen Hunter, was in love.