Chapter 12

We stood there in silence. The three of us. Usually shouting over the top of each other, not able to get a word in edgeways.

Eventually I said, “I need to take a test. Find out if I am pregnant.”

Maisy nodded, “Yeah."

“There’s not much point worrying about something that may not exist, is there?” Grace added.

I straightened myself up, “Right, it’s decided. After school I’ll go to the chemist and just get it over with.”

The truth was, I didn’t want to find out at all. I didn’t want to even consider the possibility that I was pregnant.

“Hey, you’re not going on your own, Immy. I’m coming too. That could be my niece or nephew in there,” Grace winked.

Then, obviously realising that there might actually be her brother’s child inside my stomach, she shivered, “Eugh, maybe I don’t want to come after all.”

Maisy rolled her eyes, “Don’t be a baby, Grace,” She took my hand and placed it in hers, while saying reassuringly,

“We’re Immy’s best friends and we’ll be there for her no matter what happens. Understand?”

“Whatever you say, mum,” Grace said jokily.

That’s what I love about my two best friends. No matter what happens, we always get through to the other side together – usually laughing too!

***

Grace, Maisy and I arranged to meet at the local chemist fifteen minutes after school ended. It had to wait ten minutes before I could make out the silhouettes of my two friends tottering down the pavement towards me.  

As soon as they were in hearing distance I waggled my finger at them in turn, “Where on earth have you two been?”

They held up a tub of Ben and Jerry’s cookie dough ice cream and some DVDs, “We thought that we could have a sleepover after, girl style.”

I laughed, “That sounds perfect.”

We were all standing outside the door of the chemist in a row with me in the middle.

I looked at both of my friends on either side of me in turn, “Let’s go.”

We browsed through what felt like the whole chemist before we eventually found a pregnancy test.

Grace punched the air with her fist, “Yes! I found it!”

Maisy and I rushed over from different aisles. It was a small cardboard box and the only one left on the shelf.

“Just in time, eh?” Grace threw it up in the air before catching it again and placing it in my hands.