Chapter One; Pilot

Pilot.

Lance woke to a pulsating feeling pounding throughout his head, to make it even better his headache was accompanied the god-awful sound of blaring alarms coming from all around the castle. Along with Allura's voice saying,

"Hurry Paladins! Lotor is attacking with an entire fleet! Get up and get to the lounge room, we need to discuss our plans immediately!"

Ah yes, the lounge room sounds so pleasant, just sitting and lounging in a magnificent castle while chatting with your best friends, and found family. And Keith.

At the Garrison, Lance dreamed of exploring space with a close-knit crew, he couldn't have imagined half of the things he's seen on their expedition so far. But now that all this time has passed, all he really wants to do is see his family. Nothing compared to home, he missed Varadero. He missed the beach, the sand, the cocktails. He missed his favorite food places, and the waitresses that would remember his orders.

But now, it all seems so far away. Well, actually, it is so far away. He is billions of light-years away from home. He knew this feeling all too well, Homesickness.

He realized how long he spent dwelling in his thoughts and decided the best choice, for now, is to get ready to defend the universe. He took a deep breath and rushed to the washroom to brush his teeth with whatever resembled a toothbrush and minty paste. He washed his face and looked up to see a face he has started to get used to, the acne, eye bags, and general lack of expression. He was still trying to clear his homesick thoughts but he knew nothing would ever fully make them go away.

He told himself he was going to kick ass anyway, at least he tried to convince himself that he would. He quickly got dressed in his armor, he's forgotten to wear it twice and the remarks and disappointment from his peers still linger in his mind now and again. Fully aware of all the guilt, disappointment, and berating that is about to commence, he reluctantly shuffled into the lounge.

Sure enough, as soon as the door opened all eyes were on him. Allura motioned for the other paladins to back away and she walked towards Lance.

"What were you doing?! If Lotor was actually attacking we could have all easily perished, long before you even put your armor on! You need to be more reliable." She was being over-dramatic. This isn't gonna go over great.

"Way to be optimistic." He muttered to himself.

Allura poked at Lance's chest as she was talking, and pushing him back with little force.

"I don't think you're fully aware of the severity of this situation, Lance. If you ever want to be a considered a decent paladin, or feel like you are deserving of your place here on this team, the least you could do is have the decency to show up on time! You need to be ready for these responsibilities. Shiro was the first one here, in Armor, with his Bayard in hand! You can't just waltz in whenever you like and expect me to believe you're ready for this."

"Isn't that a bit too extre-"

"Not now, Hunk!" Allura interrupted.

He cringed and met eyes with Hunk, thanking him with a nod and small smile, it didn't match the expression in his eyes, though. In that moment Lance wondered if Allura felt comfortable talking to any other paladin this way, he's never witnessed her speaking to anyone else the way she does to him. Before he could respond, Coran spoke.

"Now hold on a tick, although I think he should practice getting here earlier, I do believe that there is no need to lash out at Lance. I'm sure the boy understands." Coran walked in front of Lance in a protective manner. Allura spoke up again,

Swiftly changing the subject, she sighs. "I am sure you all can see Lotor is not actually attacking, it was a test. But since you are all here and in armor," She side-eyed Lance, "We got a distress signal from a planet in the next solar system over. Before we arrive there are some boundaries we need to establish, the Cambarians are very sensitive and get startled easily. So Keith, please reel in the threatening bit. Lance, refrain from distracting yourself with flirting if you can manage it, and Pidge.. please do not steal any technology they have." Allura earned a glare and a hum in response from each of the paladins.

"I never get distracted when i'm flirting! My mind is always on the money." Lance thought to himself, wearing a subtle amused grin.

They got prepared and started flying to the planet of Cambrians.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Thank you for reading the first part, this is the first time I'm writing a serious, or remotely serious fic so I hope you enjoyed