The Choosing

I stood right outside the bath room.  I was scared of what the inspector would do.  Is he going to kick me out? Will I pass? Will he kill me if I'm not up to expectations?  All these questions passed through me mind as he walked in slow-motion toward the isle I was in.  He had a permanent scowl etched into his face.  The triangle beard on his chin and linen garments, made him look like a king.  His muscled arms and legs rippled as he walked forward to a girl across from me.  She had a beautiful face, as everyone in this room had, her head was topped with a mound of golden curls.  Her startling blue eyes looked strait at the inspector as he stalked toward her.  She fiddled with her hair and her robes, as if she could never look perfect.  Though she stopped as soon as he was right in front of her.  

He looker her over, walking around her and taking a fist full of hair, lifting it up to his face, and sniffing.  He grunted and moved along to a tiny, shivering girl that seemed to only get smaller under his gaze.  He repeated the routine he did for the first girl, except when he was done.  He hollered,

"OUT" and pointed toward the door She scurried, whimpering all the way, outside.

I followed him with my eyes all the way down the line.  I noticed, that most girls weren't up to his expectations.  Leaving only a few relieved people behind.  Then he started stalking in his way up the isle.  Though he didn't leave everyone here, there would still be many.  The bath house was huge.  Once again questions crossed my mind, getting worse and worse as more time passed.  And by the time he was almost to me, I was at the conclusion that I would be so ugly, that he would hand me over to be punished like a criminal.  I was worrying so much that I didn't notice when he stood right in front of me, breathing on my face.  I stood frozen in fear, but I wouldn't be too weak to let him make me shiver.  I dropped in the best curtsy I could and stood tall, staring him down.  I really hopped it worked.

  He grunted and walked on, circling me as he did everyone else.  Though, this time it seemed to take longer.  He snatched my arm, feeling my smooth skin.  He took a pinch of my hair and ran it through his fingers.  He lifted it up to his face, all of a sudden a tiny shadow of a smile fell across my face.  But, it disappeared as fast as it had come. He dropped my hair, and walked on to the next girl.  Continuing on his routine.  

     I stood there, trying to conquer my feelings.  I felt sad that it would be longer until I saw Mordecai again.  But I also was glad that I got to stay for... who knows what.