Wicked Shadows (vampire diaries) *prequel to Dark descendants*

What does it mean to be alone? Having no one around you? Maybe it's having people around you, but feeling alone? Or possibly it's the feeling of having no one to understand you. All of these things are good examples of lonliness, but what does it truly mean to be completely and utterly alone? Being truly alone is all of them. (Warning: If you have read my story Dark Descendants, this is really mostly a recap of Arielle's life back in 1692, but it probably has details you didn't know before so you might want to read it, plus it's more of an insight into her mind. If you have not read my story Dark descendants, you should read it first because this will be very confusing to you if you don't.)

I wasn't always alone, you know. I don't think there is such thing as being alone till you realize what it's like to have someone there. I always had my mom. It was just the two of us, not even my father stuck around. But it didn't matter, we had each other. That was all that mattered. I was almost exactly like her. Hot headed, stubborn, and naturally curious. Maybe it was why we always clashed heads. But that never changed how much we cared about each other. However it all changed when my mother died in an accident on a rope bridge.

It was my fault. And before you go and tell me it wasn't, it actually was. You see I come from a long line of powerful witches, known as the Strega. It was my magic that caused the once usable bridge to snap and send her to her death. And then, I was alone. Utterly and completely alone. I moved in with my uncle who was a tavern owner with my two cousins, Abigail Williams and Betty Parris. It became one of my daily jobs to help with the Tavern, serving food and beer, cleaning the place up and helping take of the animals.

One day in the year 1692, Abigail and Betty had attacks by 'witches' starting the Salem Witch trials. Abigail had become a dark witch, using her magic to cause havoc over the Salem people along with Betty, who she'd used her magic to control. I might've been able to stop them, but it was unlikely. Abigail had the power of another witch on their side named Tituba, who's black magic had corrupted my once sweet cousin Abigail. There wasn't much I could do anymore, except wait and hope everything turned out well. Despite my high level of magic, taking on two voodoo black  magic witches wasn't exactly a smart thing to do.

So I waited and played along. On the day of my birthday, and my mother's death anniversary I went out by myself by the lake we used to live by. My uncle was busy with my cousins and the Tavern and there weren't many girls my age in town, so I was alone. Until he came. Niklaus was his name, but he was better known as Klaus. The original vampire.

Despite being a supernatural being myself, I had never met a vampire before in my life. It was weird and somewhat surreal, meeting one. From the stories I had heard, vampires were spiteful, disgusting creatures with no conscious and not to be pitied. However I knew not to listen to everything I heard. I knew there must be more to a vampire then meets the eye. I was right. Klaus stayed with me, and he was surprisingly kind. I no longer felt so alone.

He stayed at my uncle's tavern for a while, about two or three months. I had instantly had a bit of a crush on him, but falling in love with him wasn't hard at all. But it wasn't meant to be. Maybe it was nature's way of punishing me for falling in love with a monster, with a beast against nature, with a vampire. Maybe it was my own fault, blindly caring for a vampire. I don't know what exactly it was that brought my short happiness to an end, maybe it's just the way of the world. It will give you a little to survive on, and then rip it all away with only the bittersweet memory to live off of.

Klaus, he killed me. Or at least he tried to. I'm not sure of exactly all of the details, but I do remember one haunting image of him drinking my blood too the last drop. And then I woke up not even two hours later. I stumbled back into town, with my head pounding and my throat sore and every muscle in my body on fire. I had stumbled into a man on his way home, late from work. At the sight of his neck I bit him. He was dead within seconds. I was completely horrified with myself. I was a vampire. I was the one thing nature despised completely.

But then I found something that didn't quite add up. Something that wasn't supposed to happen. I was still a witch. Power still sizzled at my fingertips, the power literally attacked me when I didn't release it. And that scared me. I searched for Klaus, at first. He was long gone and out of town without a trace. I felt betrayed, angry, and vengeful. But they all covered one emotion, pain. In the end, that's all of what our negative emotions lead up to. pain, hurt, anguish. I was hurt and I was alone again.

I left Salem after that, never once did I return. My life at that is sketchy. My entire existence as a human I was mostly a good person. Stubborn, yes. Hot headed, definitely. But I was good. All of that changed when I became a vampire. When you're a vampire, all of your emotions and senses are heightened.

And all of my emotions turned towards hatred at one person. Klaus. He did this to me, he was at fault for everything. All good aspects, all good emotions about me just suddenly disappeared. They no longer existed. I was focused completely on my rage, my pain, my revenge. I no longer cared about whatever happened to anybody else. My life for the next two hundred years was bitter, cruel, and lost in the darkness i'd pulled myself into.

People would always try to help me, try to understand me. They never could. No one could. Not even Klaus would be able to understand at that point in my life, however if you are willing, I will tell you the aspects of those two hundred years. But you must understand one thing. I was not a good person. Pain is the true source of evil, and I was in so much pain.

The things I did, the thoughts I thought, the feelings I felt, and the people I hurt. It's cruelty. I've destroyed more lives then I can count, I've destroyed people along with me, turning good people into monsters. Maybe I felt less alone that way. So if you want to really know me, take a delve into my mind, you'll listen to my story. But be warned, I wasn't always a good person.

***

Okay so this is more like a prologue. This was Arielle talking (as in present time), next chapters there will be multiple characters talking, Gabrielle mostly talking (as in bitter, mean Gabrielle) We'll skip time periods alot, sometimes stay in one for a chapter or two. This is more like a novella with ten-fifteen chapters, possibly more if i'm up too it. Updates might be scarce as I try to fit this all over the break until season four. However it will probably end long before season 4 and I'll probably take on other projects and take a break from Arielle's story and move on to other ideas for a while (spoiler: Like a story about Tatia...)

So tell me what you guys think, thumbs up thumbs down? This was really just a quick recap of everything in Arielle's life in 1692 and before that will a little more information then you guys knew but I really needed this introduction to the story. Also listen to the video over on the side. It's glee but there are some aspects about it that do describe parts of Arielle or more likely Gabrielle (cause you know Arielle was Gabrielle in this time...)

Alright well vote, comment, fan and tell me what you think!