The Widowmaker

1

Watchpoint, Gibraltar

"No, she's actually been doing rather well," Lena Oxton said into the smartphone. "Angela has started her up on nanobiology and we're seeing if her body can adjust to the changes."

"Well, that is good news," Emily Smith replied from the other end. "I know I have to be kept in the dark about all the little details and all but it's good to know Amélie is doing well."

The two had been talking regularly for a few weeks since Widowmaker had officially become a member of Overwatch. Although Lena was excited to have her onboard professionally, she was also excited that she was romantically involved with her. She still had this nagging worry about Emily and didn't feel one hundred percent about having a new girlfriend.

"You seem to be doing rather good as well," Emily said with a sly smile to her voice. "It's different when you aren't trying to kill each other isn't it?"

Tracer blushed even though Emily couldn't see it. "Yeah, I-I guess so..." she stammered.

"Oh, Lena, darling, what's the matter?" Emily asked.

She was always intuitive and Lena rolled her eyes thinking it was stupid to even try and keep anything emotional from Emily. They had been together long enough to know even the tones of voices over the phone. Emily may not have been able to see Lena blush but there was no doubt she could feel it.

"Oh, bugger," Lena said putting her palm to her forehead. She hadn't expected to feel this twinge of guilt. "I guess ... I dunno... I'm being daft if you really must know. I know we aren't ... you know ... 'seeing each other' and all that but it still feels odd."

Emily sighed and Lena felt the smile she couldn't see. "You are being daft, you silly girl," she said. "You know as well as I do that this is a much better match for you and we're still close even as friends. Besides, and be honest with yourself, you and Amélie have had this gravity between the two of you for a good long while. I'm happy things are working out. I hoped they would."

"Yeah, but what about you?" Lena said flopping down on her bed and looking at the ceiling. "I don't want you to be alone. I always had to go off on missions and such and leave you. That was one reason why you broke up with me in the first place. I definitely don't want you to be completely alone now."

"Well, about that," Emily said. "Yes, I think about you a lot and yes, I still love you and always will, but I've been thinking of going out again."

Lena felt a twinge again but this time it was a bit of jealousy that she squashed down.

"I didn't want to say anything because our emotions are still a little raw," she went on. "Didn't seem very tactful to say 'I'm thinking of dating' to my ex-girlfriend who was so distraught before."

"I've gotten a lot better," Lena said. "Besides, I don't expect you to stay single forever. You know Amélie and I are together and it seems fair you find the right one for you."

"You say that but you still got a little jealous when I mentioned it," Emily said with a knowing smile.

"Blimey," Lena said with a smile of her own. "How do you always do that?"

"I just know how you think, Lena Oxton," Emily said matter-of-factly.

"Well, don't mind me being a bit weird about it," Lena sighed. "It just takes some getting used to."

"Same here," Emily said. "I like Amélie. I idolized her for years when she was a ballerina. I felt scared and sorry for her when I met Widowmaker. She has a good heart and it's great that terrorist organization didn't destroy it."