Pt 25

Gaara POV

I looked down as I felt Miera stir.

Right before we left the Akatsuki hideout, her breathing and pulse had returned to normal.

We didn't waste time, but we didn't hurry too much.

Kankuro was carrying her gourd on his back, and complaining that he couldn't believe the we could bear carrying one on our back all the time.

I looked down to see her eyes flutter open.

“Miera?” I said softly.

“G...Gaara? Y...you c...came after m...me?” she asked weakly.

“I'm letting you go that easy,” I said with a slight smile.

“H...he saved me, G...Gaara. H...he made me p...promise to not g...give up on y...you. H...he's a...actually  a g...good guy,” she said with a weak smile.

I frowned.

“Who? Who saved you and made you promise that?” I asked.

“Sh...Shukaku,” she said.

“Sh...Shu...Shukaku?” I stammered.

She nodded.

“She's awake?” Temari asked behind me.

“Yeah,” I said to her.

We took a break for a while, and she leaned against me, drifting in and out of sleep.

“Mie....Iseki?” I asked at one point, when I knew she was awake.

“Miera. I'm Miera. Shukaku told me to embrace my true identity,” she said softly, her stutter gone now.

“What did he say to you?” I asked.

“He said that he saved me, that I was alive. That I was no longer a Jinchuurici, although I am still just as powerful. He said he was sorry for what he did to me. He said to go back to you, because you love me and won't give up on me. He asked me to promise him that I won't give up on you, and I agreed. He said he'll visit me through dreams, cause he sees me as a friend. He told me that I'd shown him that he should be kinder, that I changed him, and he that was greatful for everything I had done for him,” she said softly.

I smiled.

“So he has a kind side now?” I asked.

“Yeah. Now,” she smiled back.

I was glad to have her back

Miera POV

When we got back, I went to their home, rather, our home, and slept for a long time.

Shukaku was there the second night, and we spoke for a while.

I avoided everyone, leaping out the window as soon as I was recovered.

I was an S-ranked criminal now. I couldn’t live here. I couldn’t be a member of the village anymore.

Wasn’t that clear?

Gaara would try to see me, but I would teleport away with my sand. I couldn't face him.

The days passed, and I found myself thinking about what kind of person I was now.

What I needed to do in the future.

What things I needed to fix, once and for all.

And it dawned on me that I needed to go to the other villages. I needed to pay for what I had done.

And if it ended in my death...I was ready.

3rd Person

Temari ran into the living room where Kankuro and Gaara were watching T.V.

“Miera's leaving the village. I found this note on her bed,” she said quickly.

Gaara immediately ripped it from her hands.

I'm sorry guys. I have done many bad things, and I need to pay for them. I'm taking the rightful punishment I deserve. If I am still alive when all of this is over, I may come back. I wish you the best of luck.

Miera

They all ran to the village entrance.

Miera's figure could be seen walking away from the village.

“Miera!” Gaara called, starting to run forward.

She stopped walking as the three caught up to her.

“Don't go,” Temari begged.

“I must pay for what I have done. This is what must happen. I am really sorry,” she said, not turning to them.

“Please stay,” Kankuro said, his voice hurt.

She sighed.

“I am truly sorry.”

With that she continued to walk away. Gaara took a step forward, but Kankuro put his arm in front of him.

“Let her go, Gaara. She'll come back. Girls like her – the truly good ones – always do,” he said.

They watched her walk away until she was out of sight.

Miera

I had no choice but to leave. My punishment needed to be carried out, and I was willing to face what I deserve.

Kankuro understood. That's why he stopped Gaara.

I would come back if I could. And when they see me again, whether that be in the afterlife or in this world we currently live in, I will be stronger. I will be a better person.

When that day comes, I'll be free again.

Free, once and for all.

No longer an S-ranked criminal.

No longer wanted by the Akatsuki.

But a strong, loyal kunoichi of the Sand.

And simultaineously, a Thief.