Chapter Five

“Anywhere that is away from you,” I snapped at him.

“Well that won’t work out,” he said as he stepped on the gas real hard. It made the car accelerate too fast. My heart beat fast as my left hand held on something soft, warm and familiar but I didn’t bother looking at it for my eyes were on the road hoping we do not crash.

He stopped on the red light. That made me hold a tight grip on what was I holding. “For someone who hates me, you like holding my hand,” he grinned and I realized I was holding his hand. I tried to pull my hand away but he just wouldn’t let go.

“Pendleton let go!” I scowled at him.

I should’ve known that he was going to use that silly speed trick he does when we were dating. Whenever I get angry he drags me to his car and starts driving like crazy and I will absentmindedly hold his hand and see myself smiling realizing what I was doing. But things were different now back then I was in love and now it was a different thing.

“I won’t let go!”

“Well either way you have to change gears and let go of my hand!” he then stops the car and presses the hazard button to signal every car passing by that our car broke down.

“You are so stubborn Pendleton!” I snapped.

“Hey call me stubborn, asshole, liar, cruel bastard. But this fucking bastard loves you,” he snapped back at me and that left us both in silence.

“Why did you agree with that stupid bet?” I suddenly asked just to break the silence. It was a question that I wanted to ask him but never got a chance since I always tried to shut him out.

He sighed. “We both know that I’m not really the nice guy that everybody knows.”

“Oh trust me I know a lot more than you think.”

“Well remember Khiel Johnson?”

“Yes.”

Khiel was a senior who graduated last year. He was once my suitor until I rejected him. He was a bad boy who has a bad reputation with girls but girls want him anyway thinking they could change him. I on the other hand was smart enough to reject him and he was foolish enough to think I was playing hard-to-get so he still pursued me and annoyed my existence. Until one day he just stopped and gave up promising himself that his broken heart will get justice. He was too cheesy for a playboy.

“He was my best friend and we all know that he was the number six in our group,” yes he was number six in the popular clique’s lunch table and he left their group because he had an argument with Bryce that is what I heard. Bryce never talked about it, up until now.

“And he tried to suicide because he was in love with you that he hated it,” he said.

“I didn’t know that part,” I said.

“It was our secret,” he said.

“Khiel asked me to make you fall in love and I took it as a challenge. He said that if I made you my girlfriend for four months and break your heart he’ll give me 500 bucks.” He looked at me emotionless.

“Yeah I heard that part and it echoed my mind a million times,” I scowled.

“I’m not finished,” he retorted.

“Okay I’ll shut my mouth,” I gave up and just shut my mouth and continued listening to him.

“Well I hated you because my best friend tried to suicide because of you so I agreed with his deal.”

“Oh so that’s why you didn’t talked to me the first few months when we were lab partners,” I was putting the pieces together.

“Yes genius,” he said sarcastic and rolled his eyes. “So then the deal went on and you became my girlfriend and I thought that four months would just fly by and then I break your heart but a weird thing happened.”