Chapter 14. Family Reunion

My mum was here. In Texas. Where I lived. I was overwhelmed with so many emotions that I could't think straight. Was she here to see me? Was this just a coincidence? Did she regret what she did? Does she still love me? At first I wanted to go over and hug her until her ribs broke. But the longer I stared at the woman across the street, the more I wanted to yell, scream and hit her. I had been in a foster home since I was born, and none of the foster families had been particularly nice to me, until she picked me up. We'd go shopping in London, we'd eat ice cream until we couldn't stand the brain freeze, she's tuck me in at night, and make me believe I was safe with her. However, the image of that gleaming carving knife made me glued to the spot, rendering me paralyzed. I was so confused. The woman who wouldn't be caught in anything but pink, flowery, frilly clothes was standing within a stone throw away, clad in black jeans, black shirt, black leather jacket and black army boots. Maybe there was more to her than what met my eye so many years ago, and apparently Samson had more of the picture together than I did. 

As I watched helplessly in Samson's embrace, I looked on as a man, again in all black, approached her. He was pure muscle and I probably would have mistaken him for a werewolf if not for the bright blue eyes. He was maybe 5'8 with arm muscles the size of my head. His tightly fitting shirt was pulled taught over his body, threatening to split. He was turned so I couldn't see his face, only the back of his head with cropped brown hair, he looked kind of familiar.... 

Once Samson realised I wasn't going anywhere, he pushed away from me, and I hadn't noticed how much pressure he had actually put on me until I took in a deep shaky breath. He stayed close, most likely in case I did something stupid.

"Samson" I breathed, "who are they?" I never took my eyes off the two forms that were exchanging details on their phones.

"Those are the hunters." He whispered.

For a moment I didn't say anything. It explained why my mother tried to killed me at least..ha ha....    But if that was true.. why did she pamper me? I mean, she's a hunter, she must have known all that time. Right?

 "What are they doing here?"

"Looking for you."

"What!?" I asked, stunned. "I thought you said you would keep them away!"

"We are panther, I didn't anticipate them being here. Savannah was meant to be keeping me updated on their where-abouts."

That explained it.

"Well we can't just stay here." I hissed, feeling uncomfortable with my position, with Samson leaning over me as both our heads peered around the corner.

"Okay okay, I'll get the car, pull it round the corner and you quickly jump in."

Nodding in agreement, he strolled away casually, obviously the hunters weren't bothered about the resident lion pride.

I thought he would take his time, revelling in my situation, but apparently he was't taking this lightly since I counted to ten when I heard the revving of his engine. Great way to draw attention genius. 

Like we had briefly planned, I took off and leaped into the already open door that Samson had opened. 

"Go! Go! Go!" I shouted whilst fumbling with the seat belt. 

Without a word he floored the gas and we went speeding off. Unfortunately the only way out of the town was past my mother and the man, so I sunk into my seat. But curiosity got the best of me and I sat up so my eyes were looking through the window. The man turned my way just long enough for me to see who he was, the recognition in his eyes and an amused smirk before everything went black.