Chapter 12. Meeting The Family

Sunday arrived, despite my begging for it not to, and I was dreading it. I tried to put off the upcoming events by hunting, doing homework, going to the library and even shopping. But the dinner was always sat the forefront of my mind, as I wondered what the evening would bring. Would they be nice? Welcoming? Will they hate me and try to run me out of town like a common street urchin? But giving Savannah's temperament, I couldn't for the life of me hypothesize the answer to any of my questions.

My traitorous phone told me it was five pm, and I had to start getting ready of I wanted to make it on time. I wasn't about to get a hernia deciding what to wear for a dinner I didn't even want to be at, but then again I didn't want to turn up like a slob either. They needed to see that I had class, despite the fact that I live in a rotting cottage and eat raw meet off of animals I catch myself. But they didn't need to be clued in on those little facts.

I went with my first outfit, a black lace skirt just above the knee, with a peach coloured long sleeve blouse tucked into it. The shirt had a collar and cuffs to add a level of sophistication as well as cute. Wow, never thought I'd use that word to describe the way I dressed. I added a pair of tan ankle boots with a little heel and a decorative lace. The air was a little cool, signaling the start of autumn, so I added a black leather jacket to keep me warm. I placed my necklace on the outside of my shirt, tucked under the collar so it was clearly showing.

Using my phone for a map, I found that Savannah's house was a ten minute walk, and not a mansion like I thought it would be, albeit it was still large.  It was one of those white suburban houses with a white picket fence, much like the one I had stole that mirror from. Come to think of it, it looked kind of similar... Oh well.

By the time I reached the door, the bright numbers on my phone read five fifty nine pm. I was right on time to the point where it could be called snobbish.

The door swung open wide, revealing a middle aged woman who I assumed to be Savannah's mother.

"You must be the panther. Come." She stuck her nose up at me as she lead me into the house.

Charming. As I entered the house, I noticed how neat and tidy it was, and how everything screamed shifter. Pictures of a lion pride were hung on the walls, with pelts and teeth decorating the floors and cabinets. 

"You are just in time. You can sit next to Savannah." She instructed as I followed her into the dining room. In the centre of the large room sat a long glass table, around it sat many people that ranged from five to about eighty. In total there were twelve members, including the woman that lead me into the room. I spotted Savannah who sat near the end, an empty seat sitting there, taunting me. I noticed that the younger members of the family sat at the end, with the older members at the other end. Middle aged people were stationed in the middle.

"Everybody, I am happy to welcome the Panther to our home."

"Actually it's-" I was about to correct them by giving my name, but Savannah kicked me form under the table and gave a slight shake of her head, making me go silent.

"Meet our pride-" She went from the eldest member, a man practically a skeleton. "-Abbas, Danial, Leon, Kefira, Tawny.." She finished gesturing to the older people, then going on to the adults. "Benroy, Hari.." She then went on to the younger people who were my age. "Diata, Savannah, Samson, and our youngest member Othenial. I am Arielle." I respectfully nodded at all the members, they looked back at me with respect, suspicion, cautiousness and for the guy opposite me, lust. He was a sleaze, the kind of guy who playes girl's hearts; blonde gelled hair (that looked pretty long without it), blue eyes that never left mine, a sly smile and had rippling muscles. In comparison to the rest of his family, he looked nothing alike. "Samson here is adopted, he's a cougar shifter." Arielle explained.

Food was bought out by the women, and almost inhaled by the men. I picked at mine, feeling uncomfortable around those people.

"So panther, is it true you can change into any cat form?" Samson the creep asked.

Putting my fork down, I answered him. Yes, but panther is my true form."

"And you can shift clothes?" He inquired and I nodded. "Even bikinis?" He asked excitedly. I was surprised nobody stopped him but then again they probably loved how awkward I was feeling.

"Even bikinis." I conceded.

"That's hot." He concluded.

Savannah decided to chime in at that moment, "So brother, you excited to be starting school tomorrow?" She smirked.

"You bet, maybe I'll see you, panther, more often!" He quipped.

"Why are you starting school so late?" I asked.

"My son has only just discovered his shifting ability, and has taken time off to properly control it." Arielle said, annoyance in her voice as if I were an inconvenience asking questions. 

"My son is the strongest shifter out of all of us, he will lead the pride one day." The man Hari stated proudly.

"But he is not a lion." I stated it more of an accusation.

"That does not matter, he is a shifter and apart of this family." One of the older women said.

"Maybe this pride will be invincible if we had an all-powerful panther shifter by our side." Samson suggested, in turn horrifying me.

"I'm sorry but I would not like to start a war. I'd prefer to keep quiet." 

"Nonsense, it's a splendid idea! It would be the wedding of the century!"

"Excuse me but in no way shape or form will I be apart of your pride. Now if you don't mind I feel my stay is out-welcomed." I raised form the chair and walked back down the hall from where I remembered the front door to be.

Just as I turned the handle, I felt someone tightly grab my arms so I could no move. craning my neck, I saw Samson standing there, towering over my shoulder. For such a small cat he was rather large in human form. He was as tall as Gabriel but packed with more muscle. 

"I would reconsider if I were you." He purred, nuzzling his lips into my neck. My body convulsed in repulsion.

"And why would I do that?" I growled.

"Because the hunters would love to get their hands on you, I know I do. And the wolves aren't to pleased with you either. They'll all come after you, I can offer you protection." His hot breath tickled my ear and I wanted nothing more but to rip with tongue out. 

"I don't need protection." I ground out between clenched teeth.

"No, but I know your boyfriend will. We wouldn't want anything bad to happen to him. Or.. what's her name?" He clicked his fingers. "Ah yes, Cassidy!" 

That made me stop in my tracks, even though Cassidy was a grade A biatch, I didn't want to see her hurt. And besides, she didn't deserve to be caught up in this, even though Savannah had already sunk her claws into her head.

Sighing in defeat, I turned around and looked into his scheming eyes.

"What do you want me to do?" I asked.

"Certainly not marriage like my family suggested, but you will be under my guard. I will have every class with you, you will sit with me at lunch and break. No communicating with your little boyfriend, Gabriel. You will be mine." He finished with a moan.

"I don't think so pal."

"Well I do. You don't really have a choice. See you at school." He winked and I practically ran out of the door in anger. I could hear him laughing as I marched down the street, smoke almost coming out of my ears.

I wasn't angry because of his terms, I was angry because I really didn't have a choice.