Chapter 6. New Arrival

Wednesday broke out on the horizon and streamed in through the dirt-covered window. Wincing in pain, I sat up and covered my eyes from the blinding sun. My arm still throbbed and when I checked it, it looked red and sore. Without cream it wouldn't heal but I decided to worry about that later.

My stolen watch told me it was 7am and I bolted upright, checking the watch face three times over, suddenly wide awake. I was two hours late and wouldn't have time to eat or check the library for my phone I had left there the previous night 

"Dammit!" I shouted whilst running out the door, bag in hand. My stomach was growling like mad but I didn't have time to sit patiently and wait until a tiny critter came along. If one came at all. 

Not bothering to shift into cat form, I leaped into the river along with my toothbrush and scrubbed my hair, body and teeth in record time. My pendant was cold and wet against my dry skin by the time I got out of the river and dried off. It was uncomfortable and was unnecessary weight but I couldn't do much about it.

Shifting clothes took a lot of concentration, more than I was willing to give. So in my haste, I created a white silk blouse with 3/4 length sleeves, tucked into dark blue skinny jeans accompanied with tan knee-high leather boots. A simple and quick yet sophisticated outfit. I sat on a rock combing my hair dry, and it was half seven when I was finally ready and I had an hour to walk. I would get there right on time if I left then. Even though my hair was soaking wet, it would dry whilst I walked. So I grabbed my bag, hoisted it over my shoulder and set off on my long journey.

                                                                     ************************

I was a mess when I got to school; my hair was a frizzy mess and my skin had a layer of sweat, dampening my clothes. Before I went to homeroom, I slipped into the bathroom to sort myself out. I made sure nobody was in the room with me when I shifted a new set of the same clothes and brushed my hair. I used some deodorant to freshen up, yes, I bought it this time. Feeling so much better, I took a deep breath and headed to my class.

As soon as I stepped into class, my shackles rose and my guard was instantly up. Everybody was in in the class room, although they paid me no mind like they normally did on a morning. Then again, I dond't notice anybody giving me odd looks on that day. And as I looked around, I noticed why. In my place sat a girl I had never seen before. She had creamy brown skin with soft brown hair that fell perfectly straight over her shoulders. Just by sitting down I could tell she was tall, maybe as tall as me but she was slightly more curvy which instantly made me jealous. Her lips were full and her eyes were perfectly almond shaped, she wore designer clothes which would make any fashion model green with envy. She was surrounded by the whole class who laughed at whatever she said and hung on her every word. Gabriel sat next to her, but moved his seat further away from hers, visibly annoyed by all the unwanted attention. His ear phones were in and he had a small sketch book in front of him.

Only slightly annoyed, I approached the new girl and her crowd.

"Excuse me?" I asked politely. But when she didn't hear me, I mistook it for me not speaking loudly enough so I spoke again.

"Excuse me. You're in my seat." 

She stopped talking to one of her many on lookers and turned to face me, eyeing me up and down and pursing her lips. Something about her annoyed me to no end, even though I hadn't even heard her talk.

As she scrutinized me, she said; "Well I was told to find an empty seat. This one was free so I guess it's mine now. Why don't you park your little British ass down somewhere else." Her voice was deep and seductive, I was pretty sure I saw several guys fall in love with her.

I was in too much of a bad mood to argue about it and honestly it wasn't worth the effort. I heard several girls laugh as I turned away but I didn't mind because they were being childish. I passed Cassidy's desk, she gave me a softened look but said nothing. Surprisingly, I found a free seat on the other side of Gabriel and happily parked my 'little British ass' on it. Thankfully he was too preoccupied with his drawings of a wolf to notice my defeat. It was actually an impressive piece, it was a lone grey wolf standing on a hill in a forest, looking away completely unaware of the camera view. The shadings highlighted the light that fell in through the leaves, and the darker penciling showed darker tones in the shadows and grey scale pelt. 

He caught me marvelling at his work. I scoffed and turned away, hiding the bright crimson blush that spread across my face like a wild blaze. 

The bell signaled for first period which so happened to be double physical education, without Cassidy. I had seen the sports building from the outside so had no troubles finding it. The inside was pretty simple too, two chaning rooms and a sports hall. Placing my bag in a spare locker, I entered the set of toilets to shift into some shorts clothes. I opted for a blue sports crop top and a pair of black cotton sports shorts, along with some small white trainers and white trainer socks. I thought I had dressed a little too... less, but when I exited the stall, I saw that most of the other girls were wearing a lot less, if that was possible. All the other girls gossiped and giggled, laughing and stripping down to dress whilst I scraped my hair back with my fingers and pulled it back into a ponytail. Even when up, my tendrils fell down just below my back.  All the girls were exiting the changing rooms, and I was about to follow suit when I turned and came face to face with someone.

"Well hello, little Panther."