Chapter Eleven

A person could easily detect the fear that Kirstin felt at that very moment, and the rage that Lachlan expressed. No doubt, anyone in Kirstin's situation would say something, scream, or perhaps even run away. Unfortunately, Kirstin did not have much time to react, if any time at all. Lachlan had reached for her arm, grabbing her roughly, and began to drag her away.

She clumsily followed, all the while tripping in the struggle to keep up with his long strides. He grit his teeth, but said nothing, as he pulled her behind him, back to his manor. His hand was tight against her upper arm, and by the roughness of his grasp, she knew that she was completely and utterly doomed.

It seemed like mere minutes before he had shoved her into his study. Lachlan had slammed the door shut before Kirstin even had the chance to compose herself. By the time Kirstin regained her balance and stood upright, she made no haste to turn around to face Lachlan. Her body was tense, stiff even, and her eyes were shut tight.

Lachlan took slow, heavy steps from behind her. He stopped when his chest was firmly pressed against her back. If at all possible, Kirstin tensed more.

His lips found her ear, which only made a shiver rake up and down her body. His hands had found her shoulders and he held her in place, "Ye have disobeyed me."

Kirstin swallowed hard at his statement. She swore she could feel him nibble her earlobe briefly, as if tasting her fear, and then with one swift movement Lachlan turned her around. He held her only inches away while his lips trailed down to her neck.

"What is yer excuse? Speak now or forevermore be punished for yer disloyalty." He threatened, his lips meeting the skin of her neck. His teeth grazed the sensitive spot there.

Kirstin opened her mouth only for no words to come out. She stuttered momentarily and then shut her mouth tightly. Lachlan smirked against her neck, only to bring his head back up to look at her face.

"Do ye have no excuse then?" he said lowly, and in almost a joking tone? One of his hands left her shoulder to take her chin between his fingers. He tilted her face up to his, "Open yer eyes, Kirstin."

She did, but slowly. Her vision cleared to see hard eyes and, a smile? Lachlan's hand let go of her chin and he used the back of it to caress her cheek.

"It seems," he said lowly, trying to control a soft chuckle, "That yer to be punished after all. Unless," his smile grew, "Ye speak now, but choose yer words wisely."

Being given the second chance to explain herself, Kirstin made sure not to waste it. She couldn't help but feel that this was all a game to Lachlan, even though he probably was somewhat upset with her.

"I left something in the field, last eve. I went in search of it." She said honestly. Lachlan nodded, dropping both hands to his side.

"And did ye find the item?" he asked sternly, but his smile did not fade.

"Nay, it was no' there." She answered.

"Mayhap," Lachlan began to walk towards his sleeping chambers, "I have what yer looking for."

Not knowing what exactly to do, Kirstin followed Lachlan after he disappeared into the other room. She barely got a glimpse of him opening a drawer from a side table, taking out the familiar leather-bound journal. She didn't know what caused her to gasp, if it was the fact that he had the item or perhaps the way he handed her the journal. He opened it to a specific entry, and upon handing it to her, his hand lightly brushed against her own.