Chapter Four

As Kirstin held onto Lachlan's hand, she observed how rough and calloused it was. Not only that, but his hand engulfed hers, as any man's should. As soon as the two of them approached another servant who was mopping the floors, Kirstin immediately let go of his hand, all too knowing that it was inappropriate for the two of them to be sharing such close contact. She could practically feel Lachlan's frown and hard gaze on her, as he scrutinized the mere rejection.

"Why donna I show ye the stables?" he offered, taking his mind off of the small rejection she had shown him. As soon as those words left his lips though, the other servant's head perked up and she gave Kirstin a questioning glance. It wasn't everyday that a man as great and wealthy as Lachlan would court a servant, nonetheless a new one.

Kirstin nodded but said nothing more, which made Lachlan frown again. He motioned for her to follow him anyway, and she did with her head down so that she would not have to meet the scornful look on the other servant's face. Lachlan caught the gesture and scowled at the servant, implying that she get back to work. She did without hesitance.

Kirstin held no doubt that she would be talked about, despite the fact that she was a newcomer; she now held the favors of the laird.

As soon as they were out of sight, Lachlan reached for Kirstin's hand once more. She didn't jerk away, or even shout out, but she did tense at the sudden contact that surely took her off guard.

His thumb rubbed the back of her hand, and in many ways it was comforting, but also frightening. Ever so frightening. It made Kirstin begin to question why exactly she was brought to Lachlan's home. Her room was much larger and grander than the other servants, no doubt, and now he was showing affection towards her? Surely there was another explanation for his motives.

Perhaps he pitied the girl for taking her so far away from her family? She much preferred to think this, even though her gut told her something else.

Before her thoughts could stray any further, Lachlan stopped walking, and tugged her hand back as they arrived at the stables. She could now clearly see the fields that lay beyond them, with grazing horses and a clear blue sky.

Lachlan let go of her hand and she both, gratefully and disappointedly, put it back to her side.

"Follow me, lass." He smirked, "And donna put yer hands too close to the bars of the last stall. My horse donna take a kind liking to strangers. The beast he is." Lachlan trailed off and luckily he didn't notice Kirstin gulp from the thought of her fingers being bitten off by the black beast she had once come in contact with before.

Kirstin followed silently behind Lachlan, her shoes becoming thick with mud and hay. She grimaced at her feet and hadn't realized she had stopped to do so until Lachlan turned to face her. His eyes roamed over her body, making a shiver erupt from her core, and then his gaze finally landed on her feet. He frowned.

"I will have Alana take ye out to town in the morrow, to get ye new shoes." He said lowly as if mentally making a note of it.

"Nay, that shouldna be necessary." Kirstin sputtered out.

He raised an eyebrow at her and grunted, "Why wouldn't it be?"

"Because," she paused, her cheeks becoming rosy with embarrassment, "I have no money."

Lachlan roared out laughing then, "Ye need no money, either, lass. For yer under my care and provision."

She gave him an expression of confusion, "I donna ken what yer saying."