Chapter Eight

For days, Kirstin avoided Lachlan. Whenever the laird would come near to approaching her, she would scurry off to another room. At least twice now, had Lachlan demanded her presence but both times Kirstin had come up with an excuse to be sent back to him through Roderick. It was evident that Lachlan's patience was wearing.

Kirstin became more involved in her duties, often a time taking on extra chores so that Lachlan would not take advantage of her spare time. She had also been keeping her daily routine of going into town with Alana.

Graham had been making his presence quite known, making small talk and trying to get to know her better, but she was not having any of it. Kirstin frequently gave him a cold shoulder and would turn away, only to have the arrogant man follow after her. Needless to say, the young blonde was relieved every time Alana and her would make leave. Though, it seemed that every time Kirstin walked away from Graham to return to the manor, he would have a set look on his face. It was a look of frustration and determination, but she spared him little thought.

It was one particular morning that Alana and Kirstin had returned to the kitchen of Lachlan's great manor, that they had found Roderick waiting for them. The young brown-haired squire was leaning against one of the stone counters, his knee bent, and a smirk across his lips.

"Good morning, sir." Alana had greeted him, but she soon noticed that he was not looking at her and instead at Kirstin. His intense gaze was set on the blonde, "Kirstin." He said, holding a hand up and motioning for her to come towards him.

She set down the few items that she had been carrying and hesitantly walked over to Roderick. He stood up from his leaning position and brought his face close to her own, "The laird is upset with ye."

Kirstin's mouth had fallen agape and she questioned, "He is?"

Roderick's smirk seemed to grow and he nodded his head once, "Aye. Ye have been avoiding him, and he has taken notice." Kirstin frowned. Though, her obvious discomfort did not keep him from asking, "Why have ye been avoiding him?"

By now, Alana and the other servants had stopped what they were doing within the kitchen to watch their conversation. Kirstin's only reaction was her failure to speak. She stuttered for nearly a minute, unsure of how to answer his question. How could she possibly explain to him her earlier realization? Not only was it embarrassing, but also it was inappropriate!

This made Roderick smile all too knowingly, "'Tis what I thought." Then he winked at her, "Well, ye better start thinking of a better answer than that because the laird is on his way right now." Before Kirstin could object to his statement, the door to the kitchen opened abruptly.

"Speak of the devil..." Roderick trailed, patting a hand on her shoulder and making his leave, his smirk not faltering.

Kirstin gulped and squeezed her eyes shut. She only hoped that she was having a nightmare and that she would wake up from it momentarily. It was only when Lachlan's words cut through the room, his tone booming, that she knew she was surely not dreaming, "Everyone makes leave except for Kirstin."

Kirstin could hear the shuffling of feet from around her and could hear Alana snicker in the distance. When the several servants had left the room, Kirstin opened her eyes and turned around.

A gasp escaped from her rosy lips as she came face to face with Lachlan. He had closed the distance between them and stood but a foot away from her. The most frightening part was his glaring eyes and the distinct sneer that had made its way to his face.