Chapter Thirteen

Another morning of being greeted by the chirping of birds and the dancing of sunlight, as Kirstin lay in bed grinning from the events of the day before. She had given her answer to Lachlan's proposal, and it was as if a breath from summer's air swept over her heart making it swell with fervor. Kirstin was happy, and there was no denying it.

She had expected Alana not to knock at her door that morning, for the news of her engagement was surely spread about the entire estate, but to her surprise, Alana did.

The old woman must have seen Kirstin's puzzled expression as she peeked her head in the door, and swiftly answered, "Ye canna expect to give all of yer time to the Laird, can ye?"

Another beaming smile touched Kirstin's lips, "Aye, I suppose he has to share my company."

Alana nodded once in agreement before opening the door all of the way, "Now get clothed, for the day's upbringing has much in store for us."

The old woman left Kirstin to get ready, and like always, they met by the front door with a basket in hand. They had not walked for more than a few minutes before Alana gave Kirstin a teasing smile, "And ye weren't going to tell me the lovely news?"

Kirstin shrugged her shoulders nonchalantly, "Ye would have known already."

"Aye," she laughed loudly, "I would have, but donna go around keeping these secrets from me anymore. Ye hear?" She scolded the young blonde good-humoredly, "I want to be the first person to know."

"I promise, Alana."

They made small talk as Kirstin swayed her basket back and forth while the two of them walked. Alana took notice to her over cheerful ways, and the vibrant energy that erupted from Kirstin's evident grin. It was as if something had changed about the girl overnight, or perhaps Alana had just not noticed the transformation throughout the weeks of her stay. She knew without a doubt the cause of Kirstin's overjoyed felicity. It was love, and there was no doubt it was for the laird.

The two women parted ways as they arrived into town. Alana had left and immediately gone to Ewan's table to where they flirted openly. Kirstin was left observing the two once again, and couldn't help but wonder if she could as easily flirt with Lachlan one day.

Shaking her head lightly, Kirstin walked away and began to retrieve the items from the list that Alana had given her. It did not surprise her that Graham had, like always, made his presence known. It did, however, surprise her by how he had made his presence known. Without one word spoken between the two, and as quickly as she had taken note of him standing before her, he had abruptly taken hold of her wrist and dragged her off to the side. Kirstin was so astounded by his swift movements, that she had barely the time to shout after him. It was like her speech had left her.

Only when he dragged her almost out of town to where the buildings were beginning to fade, did she finally shout his name.

"What are ye doing?" she jerked her hand out from his grasp and scowled up at him, "Ye have no right to push a lady about like that!"

He lowered his head to where she could make out a look of hurt and hatred, but yet the determination that was always there was still present.

"I want ye." He growled lowly, "And I shall have ye."

Kirstin was taken aback by how blunt he sounded, and it frightened her with a chill to the bone.

"But ye canna!" she instantly retorted.

"And why is that?" he snapped, annoyed.

"I am," Kirstin gulped and looked around nervously before finishing her answer, "engaged to Laird Bateson." Something snapped in Graham. It was apparent because his eyes hardened and his mouth had fallen slightly agape as his closed fists clenched repetitively.

"Lachlan Bateson, ye say?" he whispered hoarsely.

Kirstin swallowed hard, "Aye."

His gaze met hers once more and with one rapid movement, he had her wrist in his hand again. Kirstin, as if on instinct, reached for the dirk that was kept tightly in a sheath by his waist, and had just as quickly slashed his hand. In that one instant, Graham was left roaring in pain with blood gushing from his new wound. He had also let loose of her wrist to cover his wounded hand. She made no hesitance to start running away back towards the buildings of town, all the while hearing Graham yell out, "If ye think yer going to get away with this, yer wrong! Yer mine, ye hear me? MINE!"

Kirstin could not have run any faster throughout the crowded market. She had found Alana still chatting with Ewan, and practically clutched her arm with both her hands as a child who had just seen a ghost.

"My goodness, dear-" Alana had begun but was sharply cut off by Kirstin's wails.

"Alana, we must leave. This instant!" Kirstin yelled with tears in her eyes, and only then did she begin to draw attention from the onlookers who stood in the streets.

Alana did not take her eyes off of the small blonde, and instead nodded frantically. Whatever had upset Kirstin must be enough reason to return to the manor. With this one thought, the old woman said to the younger one, "Of course."

Alana gave a sorrowful look to Ewan before Kirstin began dragging her away in the direction of her sanctuary. Luckily, the manor was in the direction that led away from where Graham had taken Kirstin. Kirstin had been tugging on Alana's arm for a good while before the old woman put her heels in the ground and refused to budge.

"Alana," Kirstin cried, her cheeks flushed and eyes wet, "We must keep going! He could be anywhere..." she had trailed off looking about the fields and long road that led back into town.

"Who?" Alana pressed, "Who is causing ye all of this distress?"

"A man named Graham." She explained, causing a gasp from Alana.

"The same man whom ye spoke with the first day we went into town?"

Kirstin furrowed her eyebrows, but then remembered how Alana and Graham had exchanged an antagonistic look towards one another, "Aye. Do ye ken him?"

"Oh, Child!" Alana cried, "Do I know him! Why, he is Laird of the Ruskin Clan and son of the dead Laird Ronan."

Kirstin recognized the name of Laird Ronan instantly, knowing that it was him who had killed Lachlan's father and left him in a miserable state after his mother's death.

"Donna tell me that man has a fondness for ye?" Alana said once more, and Kirstin nodded. "Then we must hurry and tell the Laird!" This time it was Alana who had grabbed Kirstin's wrist and began pulling her down the road.

"Nay!" cried out Kirstin, "We canna. What if he thinks me disloyal?"

Alana waved a hand in the air as she quickened her pace, "Nonsense. Laird Bateson loves ye. He will believe ye over that terrible Laird Ruskin."

Kirstin didn't say much more as Alana began dragging her once more down the road, and before she could grasp what was happening, they had bounded into the dining halls to where her betrothed ate his late brunch. She did not know which caught her more off guard; the way Lachlan dropped his cup to leave it shattering on the floor next to him at being so surprised by their sudden entrance, or the way his eyes focused on her small form and his voice lowered to a dangerous tone as he said, "What is the matter of this?"

Alana answered for her in haste, saying two words that had left Lachlan in a furry, "Graham Ruskin."

His eyes never moved from Kirstin's petite form as he stalked towards her, and just like that, he had embraced her in his arms and she broke down. She did not fear showing weakness in front of him, but she did fear his next words as he slightly let go of her to tilt her chin up towards his face, "I will kill him for whatever he has done to ye."