Decisions Decisions

ANDREA

I didn't know what I was doing, it was like I wasn't even in my own body. I could feel Laddie holding my hand, and I knew he was talking to me, but there was a ringing in my ears that kept me from hearing what he was actually saying.

I looked down at him, trying to focus, but images of my terrible night mare flashed before my eyes and I jumped letting go of his hand.

"Drea? What's wrong?" he asked so innocently.

I almost started to hyperventilate, but I looked around at our surroundings to see where we were and calm down. We were in a park, one I had never seen before, but I the sound of the boardwalk chatter was close, which meant we weren't far away enough.

"Laddie," I said kneeling down next to him, "You know I would never hurt you right?"

He nodded, "I thought you were a superhero. Superhero's don't hurt people."

My heart kind of shook, and I took a seat at a nearby bench.

"But what if I did?" I asked.

"You wouldn't," he said sitting on the bench, "why would you?"

I shook my head, "I don't know, what if I had to? Would that make me a villain or something?"

"Do you have to?"

Well I guess I did kind of have a choice. But it was such a hard choice to me.

There was David.

The man, relatively speaking, who saved my life. Took me in like one of his own. Loved me like he had never loved me like anyone before.

He has lied to me though.

About those girls. About the sire. Even though right now I didn't feel any effects of it. Which means he must be preoccupied at the moment.

He even lied about lying.

And I didn't know what else he could be lying about.

But should that account for everything else?

I mean I guess other than the eternal damnation and forever being a supervillain in the eyes of Laddie.

Then there was Alan.

He was so sweet, and caring.

And human.

Despite knowing the whole time I was with vampires and lying about being a hunter even.

But I told him to just let us leave and he came and kidnapped me anyway.

Then he kissed me at the worst possible moment.

If that was selfish then I don't know what is. I know he likes me. And I can admit I like him too. Or liked.

I don't really know anymore.

But I loved David. At least I'm pretty sure.

David cared about me. We never fought. He did whatever I needed.

But Alan at least talked to Laddie, and made him laugh, and he gave him a bunch of free comics, despite many of Edgar's and I's protests. Which just lead in me paying anyway, to Alan pit pocketing the money back into my jacket.

"I guess I don't REALLY have to hurt people. I can choose," I told him.

I did have a choice.

But it was so hard.

Part of me wanted to just live happily ever after with David or eternity. But then that would probably mean he kills Alan, and Edgar, and even Sam. And I didn't want that.

And the other part just wanted to be human again. But then that would mean Alan having to kill David so I could be human again, and I wasn't sure I would be able to live with that.

"Well, some villains are cool. I guess I would still like you if I knew you were a supervillain."

I kind of laughed at that.

But I had to make a choice.

I couldn't run away from this.

It was either Alan, or David.

Suddenly, when I said his name, it was like I instantly knew.

I should have known all along.

"Laddie, we have to go back to the comic book store."

I grabbed his hand, pulling him up so I was holding him, and running as fast as I could towards the boardwalk.

I needed him. That was it. So I was going back.

For him.