Thirteen;

I'm in the kitchen when Bella calls my name

My head snaps to the side, placing the glass of orange juice on the counter. My eyes skitter around as I wait for her to walk through the doorway, watching it with an intense manner that I'm not entirely proud of.

I'm not panicking, I don't panic. There's nothing to panic over, for Christ sakes. This bottomless, nervous feeling in my stomach is not panic, neither is how my eyes can't seem to stick to one place, and instead examine every scuff on the doorframe. I am not panicking.

Of course, it's because I'm not panicking that I don't realise Bella has suddenly appeared in the doorway.

My eyes raise to meet hers, and we're both silent for a few moments. It feels tense, even though it shouldn't. It hasn't felt this tense since before... before we'd fixed everything. I hate it: hate the tension and the sickening, empty silence that envelopes us.

I want to say something, but I don't know what. What can I say, after everything I said the last time I saw her? What can I say to change that? Do I even want to?

No. No I don't want to take any of it back. Why should I? Everything I said was true, I meant every word. I'm not about to be dishonest and act like I didn't. I don't see why I should have to, so I won't.

But... but I miss her. I miss her, and ever since I left I've had this empty feeling that I've tried to ignore. I've felt like I'm missing a limb, and I haven't known how to fix that, and it's so strange to me because I've never missed Bella this much.

She smiles at me, looking generally relieved to see me. That, in itself, is enough to release some of the tension in my shoulders.

"Hey, Ellie." Is all she says, but it's enough.

She's not holding a grudge, thank god.

I return her smile, but a little more tightly, still unsure of what direction this convocation is going to go.

"Hey, Bella." I reply softly, keeping my voice low.

Although there's not really any point, considering the amount of vampires buzzing around the place at the moment.

Again, silence settles around us. I watch as Bella swallows, and wonder for a moment what on earth she could possibly be swallowing.

"How have you been?" Bella asks, sounding a little uncomfortable, "How's Mystic Falls?"

I bite my lips before answering, "It's great, sunnier than here. I'm good, too."

Silence.

Bella shifts uncomfortably on her feet, her eyes skittering around. This is awkward, very awkward. Awkward enough for me to start fiddling with my fingers and the hem of my shirt.