24

CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR:
PULLED BY TWO FAMILIES.

" I feel free in time, fall depths with me miles apart
In light, we solve our own lives
In time, you breach the brighter parts
In light, we fall. "

____

NARRATOR

Arabelle wipes off the beads of sweat from her forehead, she gulps down the water and squints her eyes at Isabelle.

"Mom and Dad invited Mom and Dad for dinner?." Arabelle asks half joking, Isabelle chuckles lightly, wrapping an arm around her sister's shoulders.

"Yes they did, they were friends before the Uprising. They are glad they're back, but mostly they're glad your parents are back—."

"Marsye and Robert are my parents as well, Izzy." Arabelle chides, looking at her sister in all seriousness. "And you and Alec are still my siblings, no matter what."

Isabelle sighs, looking at Arabelle with a hint of sadness. "I know that, silly, but things are going to be different now — Your biological right is with the Lacroix-"

"So that's my parents last name..." Arabelle breathes out and Isabelle cocks an eyebrow at her in confusion.

Isabelle stops dead in her tracks, mid way through the stairs. "How did you not know that? We studied the oldest Shadowhunters families, the Lacroix was part of that study."

Arabelle tilts her head and shakes her head with a frown and furrowed eyebrows. "I remember studying the oldest families, Izzy, and i never heard about the Lacroix."

Alec clears his throat, making Arabelle and Isabelle look at him in confusion. "That's because Maryse told the professor to change the assignment for Arabelle, so you wouldn't learn about the Lacroix."

Arabelle's mouth falls agape, shaking her head again and looking at him in disbelief. "Why wouldn't she want me to learn about my family? That's basically my birthright."

Alec looks around and motions with his head upstairs. "We shouldn't talk about this in the stairs – Right now the walls have ears." He says and Arabelle and Isabelle nod stiffly before the trio of siblings make their way upstairs, sneaking into Alec's bedroom.

"If i'm going to learn new shocking stuff about my past i rather doing it after i take a long and relaxing shower."
Arabelle says sarcastically and Alec shakes his head, taking Arabelle by the shoulders and dragging her to sit on his bed with Isabelle besides her.

"I have a feeling this topic is bound to be touched in tonight's dinner and you can't be unaware about this."

"But i'm unaware, none of you have told me the complete truth — By the Angel! I discovered that Ethan has been lying to me all this time from my own and filled with despair sister-."

Alec and Isabelle look at her with wide eyes and open mouths.

"Ethan was the traitor?." Isabelle asks surprised and Arabelle slowly nods; truthfully, she had been trying to forget about the topic all day long, knowing that if she even dared to think about it an empty hole of the size of the earth would grow in her heart.