Chapter 3

The next morning I woke up with the idea of finding a job. If I was going to continue living in this apartment, I urgently needed an income. Before New York, I worked as a librarian. I didn' t earn much, but I liked doing it any way.

I love to read. I didn't have an easy childhood, and I hid myself behind my books. Also, I wasn't really a social person. But I didn't need friends, I had my stories. I loved the library in New Orleans. it wasn't big but it had its charms and I've kind of spent my whole childhood in there. Before school, after school... It's not that I had anything else to do.

I got ready and headed into town in search of a job. 'New York is huge so I definitely should find a job somewhere', I thought to myself.

Wrong thought.

After two hours of walking around the city, I still hadn't found anything. Or it was a job at the butcher, and I'm not the kind of person who is going to cut meat into pieces.

After another half hour walking, I gave up and went to the nearest cafeteria for a coffee.

"Can I help you?" the waitress asked. When I looked up I saw a familiar face.

'Lexie?' Lexie looked up from her paper. "Abigail? What are you doing here?"

'I was searching for a job. You work here?' What a stupid question. Of course she workes here, why else would she be dressed like this and would she have asked me if she could help me.

"Yes for almost a year now." She replied.

'Oh, cool.' "Yeah I can't complain. It's difficult to find a job here." I nodded. I figured that out myself.

"So I guess you didn't find anything?" she asked. 'No, nowhere. I've been searching all day long.'

"I can ask the boss if you can work here?" 'Oh no, you don't have to do that I'll just keep searching around a little more, I'll find something.' I said quickly I didn't want to seem like that person who takes advantage of her friend.

"No really it's not a problem, I'll just ask him. And besides we can use an extra pair of hands anyway. Do you have experience in the horeca?" I nodded, in New Orleans I regularly worked in my grandmothers cafe. "Excellent, stay here."

And before I could protest, she was already gone. Five minutes later Lexie came back with a smile on her face. "You got the job!" she exclaimed. 'Really? You're joking right?' I asked with disbelief.

"No, I wouldn't joke about things like that. I'm being serious. You can start tomorrow? If you want to of course", she said with a grin. 'Wait, what? How did you do that? They don't even know me.'

I still didn't believe her. Why would they give me a job? But on the other hand I hoped it was true. I could really use this job. "Well you see, the boss is my uncle."

That explains a lot. 'O my god, thank you so much Lexie!'

I was so happy, but I still had the feeling that I had taken advantage of her kindness.

"No problem. Oh and before I forget to ask, tomorrow night there's this party with all the colleagues, you should come as well, so you can get to know them all."

'Sure, I'll be there. Thanks again.' I really looked forward working here. "Oh please drop it! It will be fun working together!"

After Lexie had to go back to work, I drank my coffee and went back into town. I still had to go grocery shopping. Tonight I was going to make lasagna. I laughed to myself: make lasagna. My definition of making lasagna was putting a lasagna from the supermarket in the oven. I'm a terrible cook. It's not that I don't like to do it, I just really suck at it. That's why Bryan usually always cooked for me. I quickly pushed the thought of him out of my mind.

When I arrived at the store it was already getting dark. After my purchases, I returned to the apartment. On my way, I looked around in the city. I loved this town, ever since I was a child. I remember dreaming about living here when I was younger. It fascinated me how the city never seems to sleep. And all the stories my father told about New York before I went to sleep, all the adventures my father had experienced here, made ​​me love the city even more.

I had an amazing dad. He did everything to make me, his little princess (like he always used to call me), happy. He would have done anything for me. 'Would have done' my conscience kept reminding me. I miss him. Not only our conversations but especially his hugs. His hugs were able to fix everything.

By the time I arrived at the apartment tears were streaming down my cheeks. I was too miserable to eat or to do anything else, so I just crawled into bed. And after lying awake for about two hours, while looking at the ceiling, I eventually fell asleep.

AN: hope you like it!

A